Cats And Q-tips

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is anyone out there able to clean their cats ears with Q-Tips? If so, how do get them to keep still? I've tried the towel thing but she can still twitch her head and I'm afraid of injuring her ear.

Thanks for any feedback.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's tricky. I clean one of mine with Q-tips, she has a lot of wax build up and her ears are constantly dirty. I put a little baby oil on the tip and pull back her ear while she is on my lap relaxing. She'll let me do one and I do the other later. Every chance you get, just rub and fold back the ears to see the canal, then your cat will get used to it. Never stick teh swab into the canal, just clean the inside you can see. Getting too deep causes them to violently move their head, so watch it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's tricky. I clean one of mine with Q-tips, she has a lot of wax build up and her ears are constantly dirty. I put a little baby oil on the tip and pull back her ear while she is on my lap relaxing. She'll let me do one and I do the other later. Every chance you get, just rub and fold back the ears to see the canal, then your cat will get used to it. Never stick teh swab into the canal, just clean the inside you can see. Getting too deep causes them to violently move their head, so watch it.
Great tip. I'll try folding her ears back for a week or two before I try the Q-Tips. Thanks.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do but my cat holds more or less still while I gently swab around. Other cats simply don't like their ears messed with :headshake: A damp folded tissue wrapped around a finger will work, too.