cats and pulled pork

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I can help you there!

Pulled pork is made from a fattier cut of pork (shoulder or butt). You slow-cook it until it is so tender that it can be easily shredded or "pulled." Here in the US, at least, it is often served drenched in barbecue sauce.
Thank you! I do cook it like that sometimes, but without the smoking stage as I don't have a smoker. But I can use smokey BBQ sauce - delicious.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

LOL! That's hilarious!

I have to share a story.....years ago, I was drying laundry and the dryer caught on fire. We were sitting at the kitchen table, eating sweet and sour pork. When we realized what happened, we ran to the basement. The guys got the dryer outside, while I ran around opening windows, trying to get the smoke out of the basement. Because the basement door was open, I came upstairs to open windows in the living room and kitchen and to shut the doors to the bedrooms.

While we were all running around, trying to get things done, what were the cats doing? Well, there were six cats, sitting on the kitchen table in a perfect circle. They were calming taking turns pulling pieces of pork out of the serving bowl! And eating. Very calmly, no problem. They didn't care that the house was a little smokey....all they cared about was the pork.

I think we had Mickey Ds for dinner that night. I think I can testify, too, that cats love pork.
How do you know the cats didn't start that fire as a diversion so they COULD eat that pork? Hmmm?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I can help you there!

Pulled pork is made from a fattier cut of pork (shoulder or butt). You slow-cook it until it is so tender that it can be easily shredded or "pulled." Here in the US, at least, it is often served drenched in barbecue sauce.
I use a pork roast for my pulled pork to make homemade barbeque. I have a smoker, but didn't like the results with smoked chicken, so I haven't risked putting a pork roast in it. I use an inexpensive little roaster oven and it works great.

ArcherLarry1965

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK, I found out today that my cats like pulled pork. No. Scratch that. LOVE pulled pork. Applewood smoked. Two of them tried to hijack my sandwich. The others were circling... and egging on the two would-be thieves. LOL!!

There was a blob of fat in the sandwich, which I pulled out and set on the plate. Tex grabbed it and backed away... chewing and chewing. Tried to get it from him - concerned it would make him sick.. He GROWLED at me! OK, just don't puke on the carpet. He was fine.

Then of course they had to help me eat my yogurt.

I think my babies are very spoiled. Sigh..... I've created monsters!!
I Just got a Cat for Christmas, and she is so adorable, she is a Maine Coon and I feed her dry cat food, however I made some smoked salmon and I also did a pulled pork and she loved both......maybe I'm spoiling her to lol since its just the two of us. 🤣

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol, whoever said cats like only fish and chicken never had a cat- whenever we do a BBQ here, like we did for this New Year's Eve, Pantera and Pimenta will not be denied. They absolutely LOVE beef :jive::jive: That, and giving those two a little bit of meat (beef, chicken, pork, or whatever) is like giving sugar to a small child- they start bouncing off the walls :help::flail:

A funny story from this BBQ: I grilled some turkey this time i addition to the usual cuts of meat. After tasting a bit of turkey niether Pantera nor Pimenta would touch the chicken :yummy::yummy::flail:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all love pork in almost any form and will swarm me when I'm eating it.

However, I did make some biscuits and pork sausage gravy the other day and was surprised that none of the cats would eat it.

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pantera and Pimenta have different tastes when it comes to food: Pantera doesn't like processed/industrialized food; she even rejects things like ham, milk, and cheese. She generally rejects pork, unless it's filet mignon or pork sirloin (girl's got expensive tastes! :p ), but will always accept beef, tuna, or poultry. And oddly enough, requeijão (brazilian cream cheese).

Pimenta will eat anything not nailed down. This is why she's being treated- again- for worms :headshake:

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I make a stew at least once a week with pork belly, and I anyways cut a small lean piece to cook for her separately. She is mad about pork. I wondered just today why they don't make more cat food that is pork flavored....