cats and pulled pork

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I found out today that my cats like pulled pork. No. Scratch that. LOVE pulled pork. Applewood smoked. Two of them tried to hijack my sandwich. The others were circling... and egging on the two would-be thieves. LOL!!

There was a blob of fat in the sandwich, which I pulled out and set on the plate. Tex grabbed it and backed away... chewing and chewing. Tried to get it from him - concerned it would make him sick.. He GROWLED at me! OK, just don't puke on the carpet. He was fine.

Then of course they had to help me eat my yogurt.

I think my babies are very spoiled. Sigh..... I've created monsters!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
LOL! That's hilarious!

I have to share a story.....years ago, I was drying laundry and the dryer caught on fire. We were sitting at the kitchen table, eating sweet and sour pork. When we realized what happened, we ran to the basement. The guys got the dryer outside, while I ran around opening windows, trying to get the smoke out of the basement. Because the basement door was open, I came upstairs to open windows in the living room and kitchen and to shut the doors to the bedrooms.

While we were all running around, trying to get things done, what were the cats doing? Well, there were six cats, sitting on the kitchen table in a perfect circle. They were calming taking turns pulling pieces of pork out of the serving bowl! And eating. Very calmly, no problem. They didn't care that the house was a little smokey....all they cared about was the pork.

I think we had Mickey Ds for dinner that night. I think I can testify, too, that cats love pork.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Now you'll have to make it for them every Christmas and birthday!

Pam, that's funny about the sweet and sour pork! Jamie likes pork, but it's ham that he'll try to steal every time.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I bet that was a sight!

I don't eat pork, so I never have it at my house but I can attest to the yogurt. Pria LOVES it and now Shadey has been joining her for our morning ritual of yogurt sharing.
I'm sure it's a matter of time for Lionel as well as he doesn't seem to get that not all human food is for him.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Lip loves pork and when I make pork chops or a pork roast, he sits quietly beside me, waiting for a few bites. He never gets pushy nor tries to steal like Da Magpie and Da Devil Kitten and they both get put in their proper place - on the floor and have to wait for their scraps. I dont have a cat here that doesn't love pork scraps

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Jamie likes pork, but it's ham that he'll try to steal every time.
One of my guys has a thing about pork, especially ham. When we first brought him home as a kitten, he was very fearful and stayed under the bed most of the time. I couldn't help but laugh when my SO brought home a ham one night - guess who came into the kitchen, sniffing the air and meowing?

AddieBee, be careful - we wouldn't want you to lose a finger!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys get boiled shrimp for Christmas. It was a huge hit last year so I got some more to cook. Us humans like it, too!

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Now you'll have to make it for them every Christmas and birthday!

Pam, that's funny about the sweet and sour pork! Jamie likes pork, but it's ham that he'll try to steal every time.
OMG I was eating a ham sandwich yesterday and Dusty was climbing all over me trying to get at the ham. I had to give in and get her some!

Now I know why she loves it when I get Subway sandwiches. I always have to pull out some of the meat for her.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't eat pork very often, but when I do I have to eat standing up---surrounded by beggars. I never get to eat a whole piece of chicken breast either. Funny, they don't care about the dark meat.

Yogurt is a big hit, too, but it has to be the sweetened kind. They won't touch plain yogurt. Cali and Goldy will fight over vanilla yogurt.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

The boys get boiled shrimp for Christmas. It was a huge hit last year so I got some more to cook. Us humans like it, too!
We can't have shrimp anymore. When Tuxie was so anemic he stopped eating even on the app stimulants, the vet said - feed him ANYTHING you can find that he'll eat. That was warm boiled shrimp (the jumbo ones LOL). If he even smells shrimp now, he'll meow every day for MONTHS asking for it!

When I made the pork sirloin roast the other day, we definitely had to defend our plates, but we did not let them have a taste.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all sounds wonderful BUT as a stupid European, I have to ask, 'What is pulled pork?' I love the regular kind, cooked any way you like, but the image of a pork chop being 'pulled' has my imagination going!

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

It all sounds wonderful BUT as a stupid European, I have to ask, 'What is pulled pork?' I love the regular kind, cooked any way you like, but the image of a pork chop being 'pulled' has my imagination going!
I can help you there!

Pulled pork is made from a fattier cut of pork (shoulder or butt). You slow-cook it until it is so tender that it can be easily shredded or "pulled." Here in the US, at least, it is often served drenched in barbecue sauce.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't have the only smoked pork **** out there. This was the moment that my Scarlett discovered the joys of a smoked pork sandwich (it was sliced and not pulled). It was so funny that I asked DH to take a picture of her. We made the pork ourselves and most likely used plum or apricot wood to smoke it.

This was a few years ago. Now she starts to drool anytime we serve any dish with a micro of pork in it.

I wonder why they don't make pork cat food?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I can help you there!

Pulled pork is made from a fattier cut of pork (shoulder or butt). You slow-cook it until it is so tender that it can be easily shredded or "pulled." Here in the US, at least, it is often served drenched in barbecue sauce.
I'll add that you slow cook it over a barbeque smoker and you flavor it with a wood that has been soaking in water so that it gives off a smokey flavor. Fruit wood (IMO) like apple, plum apricot, etc gives the best flavor to pork dishes.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by motoko9

I can help you there!

It is usually slow cooked in a smoker over some sort of hardwood like hickory or applewood....So it has a lovely smoky taste in addition to any dry seasonings rubbed on it. It is "pulled" because it is so tender that once you pull out the bone, the meat can literally be pulled apart with your fingers. In the southern US where this kind of thing originated you can get it pulled, sliced or chopped... served with barbeque or hot sauce... and coleslaw.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We don't have a smoker, so at my house, we just use the big crock pot!
Still ends up pretty tasty, though, especially with homemade sauce.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I wonder why they don't make pork cat food?
Hills puts some in the C/D. But for the most part, cats can't really handle pork fat. It's just not that digestible for them and you know if they put much pork in cat food it wouldn't be from the leaner cuts.

I don't give my cats any pork. With the way we cook it that wouldn't be safe to do (onion, onion powder, or garlic finds it's way into a lot of food around here). In fact we don't share much of our food at all, aside from a bit of cheese and butter. They all understand explicitly that getting into our plates will get them growled/hissed or even threatened with a bite.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Hills puts some in the C/D. But for the most part, cats can't really handle pork fat. It's just not that digestible for them and you know if they put much pork in cat food it wouldn't be from the leaner cuts.

I don't give my cats any pork. With the way we cook it that wouldn't be safe to do (onion, onion powder, or garlic finds it's way into a lot of food around here). In fact we don't share much of our food at all, aside from a bit of cheese and butter. They all understand explicitly that getting into our plates will get them growled/hissed or even threatened with a bite.
I would have thought the smokey smell and taste would put them off... I was wrong. And I don't make a habit of giving them pork... tho' they do gets dibs and dabs of human food now and again. Not all of them eat it.