Cats and new furniture protection

Kennethkeen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wasn't really sure where to put this but I think it's a cat care thing.

Anyway I'm scoping out new furniture and I have a cat that's hyper about clawing into things. I'm somewhat worried about her scratching brand new expensive material I'd also like to get a recliner and last thing I want to hear is a cat getting crushed when someone's not careful enough to look if the cat ran underneath their.

So I'm just looking for tips on materials or devices that may help, I can't even trim this cats claws half the time others have issues with it she's a sweet girl but super defensive about her surroundings and can be a little demon and tearing things up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't go with woven fabric. We had a sofa and love seat with that type of fabric on it - not only was is awful because cat hair actually got woven into the fabric and couldn't be removed (vacuuming wouldn't do a thing), the cats loved to claw it. We replaced the fabric with microfiber upholstery fabric (I had read that cats don't like scratching microfiber fabric) and they left it alone. Went through several cats with no issue over many years. We re-did it with new microfiber upholstery fabric before we moved (they are so comfy - they don't make furniture like that anymore - they are over 30 yrs old), our kitty at the time ignored it. She loved her carpeted cat trees. Our new kitty tried scratching on the back of the sofa, but I also saw him scratching on a welcome mat on our screen porch. I bought a couple more of those for inside the house and he uses those all the time and leaves the sofa alone now (covered it for a bit with a piece of fleece cloth). I wouldn't chance the recliner - too risky. Same thing with rocking chairs.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't go with woven fabric. We had a sofa and love seat with that type of fabric on it - not only was is awful because cat hair actually got woven into the fabric and couldn't be removed (vacuuming wouldn't do a thing), the cats loved to claw it.
:yeah: Woven fabrics are a magnet for scratching. My parents (still) have this old hand me down sofa from the 1950s with a woven textured tweed fabric with one corner that is completely shredded from cats.

My sofa is microfiber and neither cat has ever scratched at it. I heard leather is popular with pet owners because it supposedly resists scratches.

I saw a fabric on Etsy that claims to withstand cat claws: Anti Cat Scratch Fabric Cat Claw Resistant Heavy Duty - Etsy Maybe you could turn that into a sofa protector that can be removed for washing and before guests visit.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't really sure where to put this but I think it's a cat care thing.

Anyway I'm scoping out new furniture and I have a cat that's hyper about clawing into things. I'm somewhat worried about her scratching brand new expensive material I'd also like to get a recliner and last thing I want to hear is a cat getting crushed when someone's not careful enough to look if the cat ran underneath their.

So I'm just looking for tips on materials or devices that may help, I can't even trim this cats claws half the time others have issues with it she's a sweet girl but super defensive about her surroundings and can be a little demon and tearing things up.
Get a lounger by petfusion that my cats sitting on. It's made of corrugated cardboard. Also a tall square scratch post and large triangle
20200320_112425.jpg

Last edited:

Irisinatl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats will scratch woven furniture, leather furniture and microfiber furniture but the microfiber stands up the best. We found these because they loved to scratch the back corners and they have worked better than any scratching post I’ve ever purchased.

A1AF10F1-E882-4D11-9EBA-1A0DB115FC1B.png

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Catnip on the scratchers and verbal rewards have helped greatly.

When Nobel is scratching something he shouldn't I put my hands over his paws. That was better training then anything else I've tried. No idea why. The younger boys have never.

On top of the above you can try:

Sticky sheets
Furniture Strips by Pioneer Pet

Sprays to remove the pheromones
Advanced Platinum Cat Scratch Deterrent Spray

different scratchers of different textures. I bought a cheap square storage thing from Walmart. That's Nobel's favourite. It isn't an official scratcher and it allows him to be in the same position as scratching the couch. Texture and position are important to cats. Magnus like carpet, Nobel likes blanket materials or burlap, Cal likes cardboard. All three will use sisal as well.