Cats and eggs

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering if anyone knows if giving your cats raw eggs is ok? My kittens really like the eggs when we’re whisking them and try to lick the bowl. There’s no milk in the eggs so I know it’s the eggs themself my kittens like.
So, is it okay and safe for them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad that you mentioned the whites of the eggs! They don’t care for cooked at all. Yolks are the part they seem to like. But what do I do with the white egg yolks? Can I freeze them or just toss?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jemima Lucca Jemima Lucca how much baking do you do? If you look for recipes there are some nice recipes for whites only. Meringues, for example, use only egg whites, not the yolk. Angel food cake is another.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can do all kind of things with leftover egg whites. Add them to your own scrambled eggs for additional protein, add them to ANY egg dish you are making for that matter. You can use them for a face mask to help tighten and brighten your skin (just slather them on, let them dry and rinse them off). Many recipes call for just egg whites, and they do sell them in cartons in the grocery store. In a souffle I think you would use only egg whites and no yolks, same with meringue to top a pie if so inclined.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can do all kind of things with leftover egg whites. Add them to your own scrambled eggs for additional protein, add them to ANY egg dish you are making for that matter. You can use them for a face mask to help tighten and brighten your skin (just slather them on, let them dry and rinse them off). Many recipes call for just egg whites, and they do sell them in cartons in the grocery store. In a souffle I think you would use only egg whites and no yolks, same with meringue to top a pie if so inclined.
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens , this post of yours makes me so happy! I'm picturing people putting on egg white face masks and then feeding their cats! 🤭

I'm probably more inclined toward adding extra egg whites to scrambled eggs or making egg white omelets, which are very popular!

Egg yolks are really good for cats, thanks to the choline. I boil up eggs to add the yolks to some of our cats' homemade food. That reminds me of another use for egg whites! I make a curried tuna egg salad, which is just boiled egg, tuna (olive oil packed), celery, scallions, celery, mayonnaise, and curry to taste. (Plus parsley, if I feel like chopping it.) It's really tasty and can be made with whole eggs or just egg whites. I don't like egg salad or tuna salad, but put them together with curry and I'm very happy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don’t do a lot baking but if I could freeze them, that would be great! All the ideas you guys have are great! The idea of the extra protein adds is perfect because my husband can use extra protein. He has bone marrow cancer. It really seems egg whites are very versatile. I also like the idea of egg salad also.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You CAN freeze them. If you have a leftover ice cube tray (remember those?) you can put one egg white (raw) into each section of the tray and freeze it, then extract them from the tray into a ziploc bag and save for a rainy day. Cooked egg whites don' t turn out so well when frozen. They tend to get rubbery.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:for your hubby

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a muffin or crumpet, toast the back side under grille.
Butter uncooked side place one egg yoke on top and grill to heat/cook yoke
Get 2 egg whites and whip up to meringue type frothy mix and spoon on top of egg yoke and slightly brown under grille.
Bit of messing about buts its sooooooo good.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad that you mentioned the whites of the eggs! They don’t care for cooked at all. Yolks are the part they seem to like. But what do I do with the white egg yolks? Can I freeze them or just toss?
Yummmmm! Swedish nuts. Make a merange out of the egg whites with sugar
Or scrambled with a block of brown cow cheese mixed in. Also make polka dot brownies with merange on top-a fav

Lisarandy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m wondering if anyone knows if giving your cats raw eggs is ok? My kittens really like the eggs when we’re whisking them and try to lick the bowl. There’s no milk in the eggs so I know it’s the eggs themself my kittens like.
So, is it okay and safe for them?
Never feed the whites. YOLKS ONLY. I'm 64 & was always told NO WHITES! Indigestible.
Yolks with a few tablespoons of milk or cream & a pinch of sugar was mom's remedy for a cat that had had a rough kitten delivery, or a cat exhausted, not eating.