Cats and closed terrariums

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I've been getting into plant-care this year, and my baby plants have been growing nicely during spring - they're all cat-safe. I'm considering getting a big closed terrarium to keep on top of one of my shelves, and I'm wondering if I need to be picky with the plants inside it? Ideally, I'd join a workshop and leave with the terrarium I made in there, so I'm not worried about them surviving and etc, the professional would work that out with me. But, since they'll be inside a closed space, it should be fine if they aren't pet-friendly, right? I don't think the plants that are options in the workshop are the extremely toxic ones (like lilies).

I have museum putty and my plan would be to literally stick the terrarium to the top shelf. My cat doesn't go on my shelves (his hind legs and hips aren't the strongest, so he can't jump very high), and he also never throws anything to the ground (unless I put one of his toys/stuffed animals on top of the table while I'm cleaning and forget to throw them back on the floor), but I'd play it safe.

Thoughts?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In your instance, and knowing museum putty, I'd say you'd be okay. That being said, I've seen some cats pull amazing feats to do naughty things so you can't be 100%. Ideally plants wouldn't be extremely toxic, but not that many are. Most just cause some GI upset or other irritations.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would check that none of the plants would be a problem, just in case. As for the museum putty, be careful what surface it is placed on as it can leave marks. If it is a high shelf that no one will ever see, no problem.