Cats and bunnies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by STLGRL5

How do cats do with bunnies?
lol i didnt know we had a section for cats and other animals.. thanks for moving it!

katzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently brought my bunny, Nugget, in from outside for the winter. Chester was very jealus at first because usually he gets me all to himself LOL he just likes to lay there and watch nugget eat. He cant get to him if he's in the cage but i usualy pick him up if i see him annoying poor nugget (who is 1/3 Chester's weight). Be careful when you let your bunny loose, if you can, put ur kitty in another room, if you cant do that watch them VERY CAREFULLY! One good bite from a kitty can kill a bunny. Good luck, they sometimes do better if they are introduced when they are young. Hope this helped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stlgrl5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea my bunny gets her own lil room
what kind of cage do u have for ur bunny? a wire one?

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in my experience they can do well together, but, a bunny can beat the stuffing out of any cat if it has a mind to, so beware that your cat doesn't make any moves, cause you'll have kung fu bunny.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had 3 bunnies and 2 cats, and they all got along fine. As a rule, they usually do, but be careful to supervise at all times!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by turtlecat

in my experience they can do well together, but, a bunny can beat the stuffing out of any cat if it has a mind to, so beware that your cat doesn't make any moves, cause you'll have kung fu bunny.
On the flip side, my 7 pound Shep caught a full sized bunny outside once. By the time we saw it, the bunny was too far gone to save. Shep was a hunter, so had a strong instinct to stalk and kill.

You need to be careful as you are introducing predator and prey. My niece had both with no problems, unfortunately I can't give you insights into how she did introductions.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
It probably depends on the cat and on the rabbit

When I first got Joshua, I had a rabbit, named Maggie, and I introduced them to each other very slowly. Once the rabbit wasn't scared of the cat, there was no problem.

Joshua and Maggie eventually were allowed together unsupervised. I know it's not ideal... but Maggie was very tempermental and would NOT put up with being in a cage. So she had free range of the kitchen. There was a baby gate keeping her from the rest of the apartment (which Joshua could jump over easily).

I would say that the main concern with rabbits is to make sure that the cat does not see the rabbit as a prey (helps if the rabbit is fairly big) and make sure that the rabbit isn't too scared of the cat. That's VERY important... rabbits can die if they are too scared.
Also, despite their cuddly appearance, rabbits can be tempermental and territorial. So make sure the rabbit isn't aggressive towards the cat either.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend's Keeshond puppy killed their rabbit. It was just playing, but it's a hound and it kept sniffing after the rabbit - finally it picked it up, one good shake and that was that. Poor little thing. I would always keep rabbits carefully supervised with any other pet, just because they're really very fragile and have very few defences of their own.