Cats and Bantam silkes?

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I am going to get three Bantam silkes. Bantam means small domestic fowls so they are small chickens with adults weighing between two and four pounds. My cats were born and raised around our red stars (Isa browns). They are bigger chickens, weighing about eight pounds (my biggest cat is eight pounds). What should I expect from the cats? My smallest cat is five pounds. Would they try to eat them since they are smaller than the others?

Thanks in advance!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depends on your cats. I have a rabbit who joined us when the cats were adults. One cat doesn't care, one cat has decided he is a bunny too, and the third cat wants the rabbit for dinner. Since they have been around other types they could be fine, but if the birds behave differently it could trigger something. I'd pay close attention and adjust if needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did have a rabbit. My cats were born and raised around her, too. They didn't pay any attention to her until I put her in an old dog pen. My little boy, Rocky just cuddled up beside her! She was a fairly big Holland lop. I was hesitant to let the others in there. I hope they won't want them for dinner. LOL. Would it help that they aren't usually hunters?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably. Prey drive would play a big factor in small fluffy thing appeal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, hopefully not.