Cats Always Hungry, Will Eat Anything

chumley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 brother/sister siamese mix 1 yr. Old cats will eat nearly any food they can find. For ex., they ate a whole block of aged romano cheese i had in a high cabinet!!

They moved in with my fiancee and his 2 brother/sister siamese mix 6 yr. Old cats in may 2000. I feed my 2 cats 2x a day and they look and seem healthy but they always want food!

His cats do not need to be portioned so i put food for them in a high closet they can jump into anytime that my cats cannot-or my cats would eat all their food! I used to put food out all the time for my cats as kittens before i moved in with my fiancee. They did not seem to want food always, but they were curious kittens so had a lot to do other than eat. But now if i leave food out all the time they will eat to excess and gain a lot of weight. Help!!

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chumley,

It sounds as though your cats are eating anything and everything because of the other two cats. Alot of times cats in a multi-cat household will eat too much because of competition. They're afraid they won't get their fair share of food. I have a male cat that will eat to excess because he's afraid my other six cats will eat his food. He then barfs because he eats too much too fast. It's very hard to try and feed cats separately. What I would try and do is to feed everyone at the same time. After an hour remove the dishes. You might also want to try keeping their dished filled "light". They can munch on it anytime they want and it's not as fattening as their regular food.

If that doesn't work, try talking to your vet.

Good luck.