Cats all over the kitchen

BuddyWillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first post here should give many of you a laugh. Is there any way to keep Buddy & Willie (8 month-old brothers) off the kitchen counters, stovetop and dining room table? Last weekend, I tried sticky tape which they essentially laughed at by sitting on and completely ignoring. I am pretty uncomfortable with the hygiene issue.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are very stubborn as you know by now. The only thing I can think of is to get a table, etc. something they CAN sit on that is higher and take them off the counter saying NO loudly, put them on the table and praise them with treats. You can get some clear carpet protector/runner with those little nubs on the back and put it nub side up on the table and counter, they will not walk on that. It is easy to move and won't be permanent, just till they learn. Mine learned by repeatedly pushing them off, saying NO, and they are allowed to go on the island. I clean that with disinfectant before meals, they usually don't jump up there when I am using it because they know I won't let them. It just takes consistency and a LOT of NOs before they learn.Thank goodness they are afraid of company so are not seen on my island!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BuddyWillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love the idea of carpet runner! I can see that I have to redefine consistency. Pushing them off the counter saying NO hasn't had any impact, yet so now I'll just keep at it. Thanks!

Cecil20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck with this. I'll be paying attention to the thread. My cat is very cheeky and enjoys a stroll on the kitchen surfaces.

BuddyWillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck with this. I'll be paying attention to the thread. My cat is very cheeky and enjoys a stroll on the kitchen surfaces.
Haha, yes. They do enjoy roaming freely on the counters. I have tried the carpet runner mentioned in the first reply to my question. It was a good crafting exercise, but the boys are not impressed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You try a motion activated toy that dances, sings or shrieks when it senses motion. You might find something in the toy aisle or Christmas section or may already have a Halloween decoration that will work.

BuddyWillie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You try a motion activated toy that dances, sings or shrieks when it senses motion. You might find something in the toy aisle or Christmas section or may already have a Halloween decoration that will work.
This sounds like a fun idea. Thanks!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah my cat misinterpreted get off the counter, as run really quickly across the breakfast nook to get to the kitchen! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Most cats learn to at least respect the counter until their humans are asleep with firm no’s or off. I clap at Jackie and flick a few water droplets at him if I’m at the kitchen sink. So far blocking his path has worked best. Stubborn clever kitty!

I’m trying sticky tape next. If that fails I’m trying the Sssss cat canister that are motion activated and blast them with air.

My past cats I trained with a squirt bottle and shaking a penny can. However I heard the squirt bottle erodes trust. So trying other ways.

Air canisters are probably your best bet. Just measure out how many you need to cover all your counters and table.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My first post here should give many of you a laugh. Is there any way to keep Buddy & Willie (8 month-old brothers) off the kitchen counters, stovetop and dining room table? Last weekend, I tried sticky tape which they essentially laughed at by sitting on and completely ignoring. I am pretty uncomfortable with the hygiene issue.
Since cats like to be up high a cat tower would help. Mines 72inches. It's by the porch door so they love watching the wild birds

MissViv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We discourage them from jumping on the countertop with the cooktop for obvious reasons and that has worked. But, we let them get on the table and the other counter tops. Maybe that is why they do not try the stovetop counter. I just keep the counters clean all the time.

They really do not get up on there very often when allowed to.

japam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what i done is train four cats to respond to pssst, when they hear it they know it's time for dinner, but i also use it if they are doing something like puling on cable or the curtain, when they hear the sound in that instance they stop, what they are doing and make a low grovel and move away, i also in some instances tap my right feet repeatably, and whilst they are looking at me, i hold out a single finger, and for me has produced the same result.

The best longterm solution to stop a cat on the counter is via smell, the best two items i have used in the past were garlic water, or garlic powder, alternatively the smell of lillies.

If they don't respond to smell, then patience and trial and error, with uncomfortable mats, note that noise will only deter them for that instance, but once you turn your back, they will go back and try again.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That clear plastic carpet runner with the nubs on the back does work, turned nub side up. I know because I accidentally stepped on some barefoot, it HURT! I can't imagine a cat walking on it.