Cat's A Grazer, Kitten's A Foodie!

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had a new kitten since April. He's almost a year old so then I'll stop giving him kitten food in a few weeks and let him eat what my adult cat eats. My adult cat is allergic to everything and I only give him anything after I read the labels and see there's nothing in the food that he's allergic to.
Right now they're both driving me crazy because they each only want to eat the other's food . I know, lock up the kitten. Not that simple. Maybe it's because he was trapped feral on the streets at nine months with his brother and sister, but he inhales everything at the speed of light.

He eats his can in minutes. Then eats the adult can. He eats my dog's food right in front of my large dog while he's still sitting there sniffing the food. He eats bologna! I board dogs for extra money and he goes right over and eats their food. He ate two if my large dogs joint suppliment pills and I had to look up if he was poisoned or overdosed.
He's already bigger than my adult cat.

My other cat is a grazer. He's used to sharing two cans a day with my past cat who died in March and was a very picky eater. He's used to cans lasting 24 hours and being able to pick at them until I threw them out and give him a new fresh one. He tries to eat the kitten cans which I don't let him because of his allergies. He doesn't race over to eat his cans but is always meowing wanting more because the cans I open are gone in seconds.
I can't lock up the kitten all the time; he cries and yowls and now climbs all over the bathroom and knocks things down and crashes things all night and keeps me up. Overnight is when my cat eats the most. But also I want them both to run and play and get exercise. Plus the car seems upset when the kitten is locked up.
The dry food is always out. How do I get the older cat to eat more quickly at canned food mealtimes???
I have a vet visit scheduled for both in July.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are feeders that are chipped, and only open for the cat wearing the collar that corrospends to that chip. It might help keep the food raids down to a low roar. I don't have any direct experience with them, so google it, you'll do as well as I could!

Second, you might want to look into puzzle feeders for your kitten. Dishes with bumps in the bottom, etc, that will force him to slow down. They've done wonders for vacuum cleaner eaters!

This is not at all unusual in cats who have lived on the streets, scrapping for every bite and never knowing when the next meal will come. It will take time and patience, and maybe a gadget or two, but I think you can get this under some sort of control!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I might have to look into those. I've seen puzzle feeders for dogs I've watched. He doesn't scarf down dry food only canned food. He eats both his and the adult cat's can in less than an hour. The dry food sits out all day and of course both of them eat the kitten food. He turns one around the 4th of July so I'll stop giving kitten food then. Or whenever I run out. I have a full unopened bag, but the old bag is at the very bottom and won't last two more weeks.
I'm not sure if puzzle feeders work for canned food or just dry, anyone know?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People are going to think Surefeed sponsors me (I wish!), but I cannot rave enough about the microchip feeder. Trying to get my girl on timed meals led to me stressing and following her with food, and my fiancé's cat would just happily take Lelia's as seconds. Once I got Lelia trained on the Surefeed, I haven't looked back. She can eat her three bites and come back later, and I know she's the only one who can get to her food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's good to know about. Do those feeders work for canned food? And connect to the microchips the cats already have? Do you mind me asking how much they are price range?
He only scarfs down canned food.
I was all pathetically happy when I was out all day yesterday and opened my older cat's can and he raced over and started enthusiastically eating. I opened the kitten can next in the bathroom next, but then they both raced in and when I shooed Ruby the older cat out, Smoky the kitten bolted out so as not to be locked in the bathroom again(he's not stupid!). So I removed all of Ruby's adult can and dry food and hid it and put the dry kitten food in the bathroom along with the canned kitten food, knowing Smoky wouldn't be able to resist that for long.
Two seconds later, I locked him in the bathroom as there his hungry little butt was, scarfing down all his kitten food just as I predicted lol.
I kept him locked up for a couple of hours despite his frantic screams which of course made me feel awful but Ruby barely ate anymore despite having all his food to himself.
After 2 or 3 hours I finally let him out and of course he then inhaled the other can as well. Plenty of untouched dry food. Now Ruby's been meowing for a can since last night and I just told him I don't want to hear it since he had it and didn't eat it. He's still normal to chunky weight. Smoky was normal but is heading fast towards big and chunky although I think he's going to be a bigger cat than Ruby anyway. From viewed above, his waist still dips in like an hourglass. It's the soft pouchy belly!!! :)