Cats, a garage and me

hyugo22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, 6 nights ago, while working on my car, 3 cats sneaked into my garage.

I have seen them previously on the street, around garbage bins.

On the night they first came in, I went out and bought some codfish in cans, and small paper plates, and provided water and the codfish.

They seem to enjoy it, so did I, building a scuffed cat place on the hour (see attached);

On the next nights, they come in and out, and a total of 4 have appeared:
- A mom (black and white);
- A courageous little one that keeps staring at me, yawning;
- A very fast 'teenager';
- A dad (appeared once, took a look around, left);

Between the 3, sometimes, they spend the night when I leave the garage, sometimes, just the little one and the brother, sometimes just the mother;

I have little to no experience with cats, much more with stray / ferals, so I have a bunch of questions:

- Is it ok for them to be in the dark when I left the garage?
- I keep the door open (while I am there working on stuff) so they can feel free, and move around. Should I force to 'collect' them?
- During the night, when they are sleeping, I cannot find them inside my garage, is this ok or dangerous?
- I have bought cat food, a blanket, a toy, should I buy anything else?
- They are very scared of me, even with the toy, how can I get closer to them?

Here are some gifs / images with them.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

First, thank you for letting these kitties into your garage and getting food and making them comfortable. You have a good heart :clapcat:

I'll try to answer your question accordingly and maybe I may miss out some points, sone other members may add on.

I have little to no experience with cats, much more with stray / ferals, so I have a bunch of questions:

- Is it ok for them to be in the dark when I left the garage?
It is ok for them to be left in the dark as cats have excellent eyesight ins the dark. You may want to turn on a not so bright light somewhere ins the garage that is not bright enough to light up the whole garage but bright enough to throw some light around and that would also help them see better. Your garage looks pretty big and one night light may not be sufficient.

- I keep the door open (while I am there working on stuff) so they can feel free, and move around. Should I force to 'collect' them?
It's good to let them move around freely and that will get them to acclimatize to the place and to you.
I don't know what you meant by 'collect' them. Is it to put them in a big cage?

- During the night, when they are sleeping, I cannot find them inside my garage, is this ok or dangerous?
Cats can hide themselves very well especially if they are new to you. As long as your garage is kept safe with no filling equipment or toxic chemicals laying around where the cats can get into, they are pretty safe.

- I have bought cat food, a blanket, a toy, should I buy anything else?
Yes, get them canned cat food if you can. I'm not sure about the codfish in can that you bought is it meant for cats. Cats cannot take food meant for humans as they are not formulated for cats. Cats need certain minerals and vitamins in their food so as to keep them in good health.

Wet food keeps them fuller and hydrated. You may also get sone dry food for them to snack on or maybe become their main meals. It depends on them which they prefer and also feeding them dry food, fresh clean water must be present all the time. Even if you feed them wet food, it's good to leave fresh clean water out for them.

I see that you bought a cat wand to play with them which is a good start to for them to get use too you. But at this point, they are still weary off you and it may take some time to trust you before they find that you are not a threat to them.
Associate yourself with food and don't just leave the food out for them to eat. If you do that, the'll always take cover and will only eat when no on'e around and this will be very hard to tame them.

Best not to buy anything else except for what you've already bought. Not all cats likes toys and certain cats like only certain toys. Sometimes DIY cat safe toys is the way to go as you don';t waste money buying toys they don't play with. Get a cat ball, cats like things that roll.

- They are very scared of me, even with the toy, how can I get closer to them?
Yes, as I mentioned above, they are still very new to you though they had the courage to move in, they are still weary of you. Each time you approach them, have a toys or food in your hand and make yourself as small as possible and stay low to the ground. This will make you less intimidating else you'll look like a giant to them.

Speak to them with a loving gentle voice and always make your presence felt and also to assure them that you Arte of no thread to them. After awhile, they'll get use to the loud sounds of the garage and maybe at times feels the jitter when tools falls on the ground and som e sudden loud banging with is inevitable in a car garage.

It takes time for them to get acclimatized and do not rush through. Let them explore the place and let them own it at their own timing. Take small apps each day and progress slowly. Once they see that the coast is clear, they'll naturally warm top to you.

On the other hand, this is important. As these are strays and not ferals, ferals will not walk in to your garage with you around. So I guess they are are strays and have some human contacts before.
And I was saying, cats living out on the streets with no owners usually they are not neutered and spayed and this add to the unwanted kitten population.
It'll be good is once they are sought of gotten used to you, get them to the vet, especially the mom and dad and after that the two you're ones and have them neutered and spayed. Once its done, you'll not have addition of kittens when they meet other cats.
It could be a challenge to trap them but it'll be for their good.

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery

spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery

how-much-does-it-cost-to-get-a-cat-fixed

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. We'll try our best to help answer them.