Catproofing for a senior cat?

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a refrigerator that I have no idea how to make safe. It sets in the wall, with its door flush with the wall, but with spaces on each side. Left side is two inch wide by 73 inch tall; right side is 3 inch wide. Last time landlord replaced it was a struggle for three guys, and a hand truck to get it out. Any ideas for closing it off?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might just stuff towels along the side to wall it off, two inches I doubt a cat could squeeze in there. Roll and stuff the towels upright and stacked so they block off a greater height. On the wide side, you might have to go all the way up. Cats can squeeze into really small spaces. You might keep it in a small room like a bedroom for a while until he no longer hides, a week or two.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put up plywood or large piece of cardboard or plastic garden lattice to block of the spaces? Attach to the wall with Command hooks or something easily removable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you take pictures of it? It may help us find a solution easier.
I doubt it. I don't use pocketphones. I could get one of those disposable cameras at the drugstore, but no idea how to get the photos online now that the public library is shut down...it had fax machine, scanner, and other devices to do that. My tech skill began and ended with a PC, and I'm not all that great with it.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might just stuff towels along the side to wall it off, two inches I doubt a cat could squeeze in there. Roll and stuff the towels upright and stacked so they block off a greater height. On the wide side, you might have to go all the way up. Cats can squeeze into really small spaces. You might keep it in a small room like a bedroom for a while until he no longer hides, a week or two.
I'll give towels a try. This tiny studio apartment has no doors between the bathroom, bedroom and kitchen. Unless I get a pen, the cat will have run of the place. I could use a halter and leash, but that would be a miserable week or two introduction to its new home. Expect I'll have to do that when I leave for groceries, to keep it from bolting out the door when I get back, but four hours is a big difference from many days.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Put up plywood or large piece of cardboard or plastic garden lattice to block of the spaces? Attach to the wall with Command hooks or something easily removable.
Cardboard bent into a V-shape, inserted into the space, and attached with Gorilla tape to the fridge and wall could work....assuming the cat cannot chew or claw it's way through. Maybe some double-sided sticky tape on the facing side?

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pool noodles?
I doubt it would work for this, but I suspect it will solve another problem I have been mulling over. Seems all the cat kick toys are either tiny, poorly made, or don't last long. I think using a pool noodle for the innards (with some catnip/silvervine in the hollow core), and a heavy canvas duck cloth case would be superior to anything at Chewy. A four inch diameter by 18 inch long size would be ideal. Even my primitive sewing skill could stitch up a canvas tube, having one end lashed up with a shoestring to allow easy access (to renew the catnip). Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Left side is two inch wide by 73 inch tall; right side is 3 inch wide.
Was thinking... No adult cat can fit into a space as big as 3 inches wide. Toys are another thing, if that's what you're trying to keep out of the space. Just block off a foot or two from the floor up with something to keep toys out.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was thinking... No adult cat can fit into a space as big as 3 inches wide. Toys are another thing, if that's what you're trying to keep out of the space. Just block off a foot or two from the floor up with something to keep toys out.
After finding my tape measure, the spaces look to be two and a half inches wide on the left, and three and a half inches on the right. So do you think that is too small for a cat to get in? I'm not concerned about toys. Smallest ball I have is a tennis ball. Cat would have to be a pool shark to sink that shot. And tennis balls are cheap enough to replace.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, an adult cat would not fit into that small of a space. A very young kitten would be able to squish in and get stuck but definitely not an adult.

Novus888

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, an adult cat would not fit into that small of a space. A very young kitten would be able to squish in and get stuck but definitely not an adult.
You could be right, but after watching this video I'm feeling paranoid:

Since I have to buy a pool noodle anyway to make a decent cat kick-toy, I'll use what is leftover to stuff into the space about halfway back. The cat will have to get about eighteen inches into the space to reach it, so if the noodle starts getting shredded, then I will know the space is a danger. If the noodle remains untouched, then I can throw it in the closet, for making a replacement kick toy later. Better safe than sorry.