Catproofing fireplace

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We found a new place! Move-in begins soon. There is an old (very old) wood stove in the fireplace which has places for cats to climb into above and below (and potentially on the sides?).

Any ideas for cat-proofing around the wood stove? Materials to withstand the stove heat ideal, but there are other heating sources so materials may not be an issue if we dont use it.

742112AB-A801-4CCF-A727-E547D68AA5DE.jpeg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd just use the wood stove for decorative purposes only and put up a safety screen around it to keep the cats from going behind and under it.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We burn about 2 1/2 to 3 cords of wood every winter. The cats really enjoy it, especially Domino, as you can see.

Stove and Cat_2013-12_Domino.jpg.JPG

Very Important Last thing you want is a chimney fire. When was the chimney and the stove most recently cleaned? Should be done every year. Will you be using the stove occasionally / infrequently for ambience or as an important adjunct to heating your house. What wood will you be burning - seasoned, split hardwood - oak or maple - is the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
C catapault now, that is the way to have a wood stove. The big reason I want to cat-proof is due to the fact it goes up into the chimney. Without that, it looks like cat heaven! Thanks for checking about the chimney cleaning - it's set to be done right before our move-in, so landlords are on it! We haven't looked into use enough to know about woods, or what's available in our area, but I will keep your recommendations in mind should we use the stove!

Safety screen is not a bad idea ... pending job applications we may stay in this home for 6 mo to 2 years, so are planning short-term cat-proofing for now, that would be an excellent long-term solution should we end up staying here longer. Thanks LTS3 LTS3 !

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
slowblink slowblink When we had the same stove in my previous picture in a different house it used as a fireplace insert. We also bought an adapter for the chimney, a flat plate like a damper. It had a hole that the stove pipe went into, and otherwise blocked the chimney. If not there the stove would not draw properly, smoke could back puff into the room, altogether not a good thing.

Take a flashlight and just bend down and peer up into the chimney. I'm sure there will be an adapter - that stove looks like it has seen a lot of use.

The wood you want to avoid is any softwood like pine. Gives problems with creosote. Of course if you live in Colorado that's about all that is available.

Ash is also good. Burns green or dry and splits like a charm. We just had a big ash taken down, killed by emerald ash borer. As you can see, Himself is keeping busy cutting it to stove length, then splitting, after which it needs to get stacked, Firewood keeps you warm more than just burning it!

Firewood_2021-05_Paul cutting ash logs to length.jpg