Catproofing awkward spaces

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My roommate, our cats, and I are moving from our apartment to a ~100 year old house soon and we are really excited! We will finally be able to hang a bird feeder outside for the cats to watch, and we will all have much more space.
Since the house is so old, it has its fair share of quirks. One of these is this little under the stairs area- it’s got a little bit of exposed insulation, a dirt floor, and it’s just generally a weirdly shaped little space I don’t want the cats getting into. It measures 5’11” tall and 4’ wide at the entrance, though it is more cramped inside.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to block off such a space? My ideal solution would be relatively affordable, sturdy, and movable (in case we end up wanting to use the space as storage). So far I’ve looked into extra tall baby gates and X pens, but I’m struggling to know how tall I need to block off in order to keep the cats safely out, and baby gates aren’t tall enough because babies can’t jump! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As GoldyCat GoldyCat mentioned, trellis can work well. I use it to help with cat introductions. It’s inexpensive, can be cut to size and with the mounding around it , functions as a door. Small hinges and a hook and eye closure or bungee cord can keep it closed. You probably need a closure at top and bottom since it is somewhat flexible but it has worked well here. I have some pictures that may help.
71D597F4-DC37-4FAD-8EF3-05D163AD002F.jpeg
BF99F220-9B87-483A-94DE-D2B3C8FC7013.jpeg
8C57ED31-3A50-4BDE-8729-28BCD93CA5FD.jpeg
1D724B4E-0A5E-4278-BCDA-FF36D1FFC6AA.jpeg
CCA50F60-2C5B-4B58-9655-895B2724B57D.jpeg
99BED7E0-D085-4A9F-BDFF-DB41D24DA7F5.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Moving from an apartment to a large house means slowly adapting your cats - first to a single room, then gradually to other areas of the house. I did not do this with my first cat, and we practically 'lost' him for days at a time. It is also important to have the cats confined while you are setting up your house, so that there are less places in which to 'lose' them.

I take it that this area is in the basement? That being the case, you might consider that as the last place to introduce your cats to, if ever. It will give you time to come up with a plan about how you might want to construct that space - and, by that time, you may have decided to use it for storage and will have it closed in/off so that it won't be a problem.

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I love the little kitty face looking out from the lattice...which seems like a very good and reasonable solution. But I do want to second that you slowly introduce the cats to the new place. To them, it may not be spacious and fun but scary at first as they find their bearings and they will feel better in a secure place.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A picture of the space would be helpful.

Trellis-material or even just a sheet of plywood would work in a pinch. Attach with eye hook screws or something so the barrier can be removed if needed.

Maybe you can finish the space off and use it as a cat nook and later for storage if you need it.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My roommate, our cats, and I are moving from our apartment to a ~100 year old house soon and we are really excited! We will finally be able to hang a bird feeder outside for the cats to watch, and we will all have much more space.
Since the house is so old, it has its fair share of quirks. One of these is this little under the stairs area- it’s got a little bit of exposed insulation, a dirt floor, and it’s just generally a weirdly shaped little space I don’t want the cats getting into. It measures 5’11” tall and 4’ wide at the entrance, though it is more cramped inside.
Does anyone have any ideas of how to block off such a space? My ideal solution would be relatively affordable, sturdy, and movable (in case we end up wanting to use the space as storage). So far I’ve looked into extra tall baby gates and X pens, but I’m struggling to know how tall I need to block off in order to keep the cats safely out, and baby gates aren’t tall enough because babies can’t jump! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
peice of lattice cut to size pair of hinges cordless drill wood screws and drill bit and a a latch or two to secure nosey kitty nose from poking a way past the lattice

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
even just a sheet of plywood would work in a pinch.
:yeah: That was my first thought when I read this post.

You can take the measurements and go to any home improvement store, e.g. Home Depot, etc. It's a very easy and reasonable fix. Please let us know what works for your cats and you. Good luck with the move.:goodluck:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even a thick cardboard cut to fit the full opening and attached with a couple small nails will work. They aren’t going to be interested if they don’t know there is a space there they can explore so do it before you give them full run of the place.

charlie55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nice it looks good! My kitchen works well in the low-ceilinged space when I made it for my kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
LTS3 LTS3 , I took a bunch of pictures. I’m hoping the lattice will work, we just need to figure out how to attach it.
Here are pictures, featuring graffiti from tenants past. The first image is the whole under the stairs area, then a step in to the right where the insulation is, and then a step to the left where the actual staircase is.
I’d be happy to hear more suggestions!

Attachments