Catnip to Scratch Post Train

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend has a 17-18 week old kitten that was born May 30th. He is trying to train his kitten to use a scratch post. Would catnip be helpful with a kitten this age? Is he old enough for it to useful and safe? Any other suggestions welcome.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's safe, but may not be effective yet. They don't usually respond to it before 5-6 months of age. It's worth a try, though, he may be an early bloomer. At this age a nice toy attached to the post might get him started. When he goes for the toy his claws will catch in the scratching post material and he can learn how good it feels to dig in.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use a laser pointer and wand toys. You can also take a kitten that size over and just stick them on the side of the post.
It is important that the scratching post is in a room the kitten spends a lot of time awake in and out in the room so it's easily accessible.

cruiser

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes i9t is possible,mine have been using one since they were little,put his paws and show him,I just dragged the kittens paws until they got it.Catnip may work,if not they will have fun fun fun .Also like Willowy,i had a ty attached and hanging off it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips. I will forward this information to my friend. I have never had to train any of the kittens I have they just used the scratch post on their own.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition tell your friend to offer several different choice of texture and position. some cats like to scratch on flat surfaces some like to stretch tall. Some like sisal, some like carpet.

All cat seem to like these:

I highly recommend them. I have three currently, and know many others who have given them to their cats, based on my recommendation.

They are called either scroll or wave scratcher depending on where you find them. Walmart carries them.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add to this thread that teaching the cat or kitten to use the post by using it yourself can be effective.

Cats and kittens are the original copy cats.

If they see their human scratching and stretching up on their scratching trees, they will want to do it too.