Catnip In Water Bowl?

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In an article on cat health I read last night it mentioned crushing catnip leaves into the water bowl as an inducement to get a cat to drink more water.

Anyone ever heard of this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Betsy. I was curious because in the 3 years I've had Maxine I have never, ever seen her drink from her water bowl. She eats only canned food and my vet says she gets all the water she needs from her food. Still, though she's very healthy, I would think she would drink water at least occasionally.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We have water fountains in our house. All four cats use it, apparently they like the circulating water. But cats are all so different--my first kitty had kidney disease towards the end, so I was trying to encourage her to drink more water. She didn't like the electric water fountain, but loved water with ice cubes in it.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had thought about a water fountain, but for whatever reason never got around to it. In the meantime, as soon as Max wakes up (what a life!) I'm going to try your ice cube suggestion.

Thanks again.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
We have water fountains in our house. All four cats use it, apparently they like the circulating water. But cats are all so different--my first kitty had kidney disease towards the end, so I was trying to encourage her to drink more water. She didn't like the electric water fountain, but loved water with ice cubes in it.
Charlie also doesn't like the water fountains, and putting ice cubes in the water has really encouraged him to drink more. He sometimes likes to bat the ice cubes around the bowl, or push them around with his little nose, but after that he always settles down to take a nice, refreshing drink. :)

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds good. Thanks. Still waiting for Max...

RussB88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had thought about a water fountain, but for whatever reason never got around to it. In the meantime, as soon as Max wakes up (what a life!) I'm going to try your ice cube suggestion.

Thanks again.
I got a fountain called aqua cube at wal Mart for $20. Can also buy charcoal filter refills there also. But am still looking for suggestions to get my girl to drink more

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Going back to your first post sailon sailon :wink: Catnip in the water sounds really interesting:think: I've not heard of it before, but I could see it really working for a catnip fiend :)

Ice cubes in the water can be a bit hit and miss. I remember trying it with my childhood cats one especially hot summer, and all 5 cats were totally baffled by it
My guys adore chicken water (cooled leftover liquid from plain poaching chicken), and that always gets drunk in record time :yummy: Another easy trick to get more water into your boy is to add a little extra water to his wet food. I do this routinely for my girl, and she really likes it (especially if I use hot water to take the chill off some refrigerated food :winkcat:).

There are lots more ideas here too - Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried catnip since one of my cats apparently doesn't have the gene for it, but seeing how they kept going after my husband's ginger ale when it had valerian root mixed in, I tried that in their water during the fireworks. Bad mistake. They would go up to the bowl and sniff and walk away. I have two cats that guzzle water so them walking away without a drink was not in character. They seem to only like pure water.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have water fountains and have been happy with my cats' responses to them for years. There are also water dishes in the house and I found one time, by accident, when I filled a very tall deep pitcher and set it down for a minute that a couple of them loved the idea of drinking out of what looked like a deep pool. I have used old glass coffee carafes and large size glass measuring cups for this.

As for catnip in water, my cats love catnip and if any lands in a nearby water dish it seems to be treated a debris in the water and the dish is ignored.