Catio with grass: toilet bacteria?

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We recently built a large catio to provide access to outdoors, grass and dirt for our indoor cats
Our cats use the indoor litter boxes but we've observed a couple pee outside.
I guess in time they might do this more often, though its their play-hunting insects area.
Should we be "treating" the area occasionally?

We have hot humid summers, nice for bacteria!!!
One suggestion was piling sand on the ground every year or two...I cannot see how that would help unless the top soil was dug up first.

Attachments

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Sand allows more air through than compacted dirt (or clay depending on where you live), and also offers better draining of "liquids". Both greater air flow and better draining actually helps destroy bacteria, vs allowing growth.
You don't have to cover the entire catio in sand. I'd suggest half, or even less, to allow the cats to continue to enjoy grass and dirt, and to chase bugs that thrive in those areas.
Because it is an enclosed space, at some point, yes, the area will have to be cleaned/scooped, but that can be as simple as taking up the sand layer and putting down a new one. Cats evolved in the desert. Hopefully they'll be more attracted to the sand to bury their waste as opposed to the dirt area. You can even use a kiddie pool or build a wooden sand box to keep the sand better contained.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't answer as to how to clean it up but you should consider placing a litter box outside in the catio for them to use instead of the ground. Granted, for this to be 100% successful you will need to remove the urine smell that is presently there. Of course, if it is one specific location in which they pee, you might try hosing it down and then place the litter box on top of that area.

jarnold0091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a litter box out in my small cardio over summer and I had a horrible problem with getting maggots in the box and litter even when I was cleaning it regularly and everything!!!! So we ended up taking it out. Anyone else seen this or have any ideals... We are thinking about adding a section at the bottom of the catio and adding non clumping clay litter in the ground and trying it that way to see if we have the same problem or if it helps so we can keep an outdoor box! (Example:see attached photo)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to try using one of their litter boxes (has their smell) but put sand in.
They chose a corner to pee in so that is probably the place for the sand box!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carolina SA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks we read this yesterday we made a plan to get some sand to put in litter boxes on top of the pee spots. That and regular hosing to keep the grass alive may do the trick!