Catio vs. Fenced Enclosure

bh32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my two kitties were feral babies, but have been kept indoors since we rescued them at 6 weeks or so. They've been quite happy in the house and don't attempt to get out or anything (it's reasonably big and they want to spend lots of time with me anyway), but they do love to sit on the windowsill when we leave the windows open, and I do feel like they'd enjoy being able to go out and explore. But obviously I don't want them roaming freely for the usual reasons, if nothing else there's a major road 2 blocks away which is very dangerous for people to cross, let alone a kitty!

So at a minimum I want to build them a nice catio they can access at will. Buuut (I tend to think big!), I also want to build a large outdoor deck/entertainment/etc area (the house has no porch or outdoor area at all currently) for human use, and was thinking instead of (or in addition to) a catio, I could just add sufficient fencing to keep them in and other critters out, which would give them a much bigger area to play in. And as a third option, the property fences need to be replaced, and it would be possible (if somewhat expensive) to add cat fencing to that when I do it. So I'm curious for those who have the experience, how much do cats generally appreciate additional area to roam in like that? E.g. if they'll likely be perfectly satisfied with a catio and maybe the occasional walk on a harness, it's probably not worth it to fence in the entire backyard (esp. with the additional escape risk/risk of other critters getting in as obviously that's not as secure).

On the other hand, if a big area available generally means super-happy kitties, it could be a really cool project, and also end up with enough space for additional cats in the future. Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI! In my case, I am ALWAYS watching my boy when he's outside in his backyard and I'm not sure everyone, even with cat fencing, is willing/has the time to do that. We have everything from squirrels to raccoons.

If you scroll through this thread there are some amazing examples of catios;
If You Had Unlimited Funds....

I'd probably do a catio first so they can safely have the outdoors soonest, then as you have time and funds, expand with the deck et al :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bh32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, we definitely don't have the time to watch them every second of the day - and in any case, the whole backyard would be something like 2/3rds of an acre so if they go in different directions... I think I'll give up the idea of letting them have the run of the place, even if I think it would be fun ;)

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it depends on whether your yard is an important part of your living area. My cats seem to take their cues about where their territory should naturally be from me, and I had a lot of problems trying to keep them in a 1000 square foot catio when I was out doing stuff in the yard. The cat who had spent time with me on a leash out there every day when he was young had the largest objections, and the catio did not stop him from being desperate to go out. And he had always been an indoor cat, except time out with me on a leash! As a solution I have put a cat proof fence around about 1/3 of an acre of my main yard, which contains an orchard, a spring fed pond and some wild areas. The fence is reinforced with a very low powered pulsing type of electric fence wire that runs along the inside perimeter about 4 feet up, and 6 inches out from the wire mesh of the fence, and I am adding a second wire to run along the top, about 7 feet up. Just like learning to avoid bees, cats can learn to avoid this, though as far as I have seen, neither of my two have ever bothered trying to climb out. They are totally happy in the large space. Initially I made them wear collars with a Bluetooth tracking device with a 300' range to help me keep track of them, but now I am concerned they could get snagged climbing fruit tress and it may be more of a risk then a safety device. We live in an area with few risks for cats, so it is maybe not as urgent to be absolutely sure they cannot escape, but in an area with substantial dangers, I would for sure use a couple low powered electric fence wires at the top of the fence as added security. I work out of my home, and only let them out when I am around to keep tabs on them, and they come in for the night. But I don't feel I need to supervise them constantly, any more than I do when they are in the house and catio.. My cats are both so much happier being able to be in the yard.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a fence enclosure, micro chip the cats. My friend had one and one of the cats was somehow still getting out. Luckily she had cameras set up outside. Also has a catio attached to her garage

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A separate outdoor enclosure tends to be a pain over time. Moving the cats to a fro doesn't take long to turn into a chore.
Also, too big happens too easy. Cats won't roam the entire area. They will tend to stick to the edges and to certain areas of the most enrichment (shelves, perches, runs, etc).
I suggest a small attached catio with a cat door that they can use to come and go as they please.
Our garage cat goes out front when the garage door is open. Out back when the back door is open. Both doors are open most of the time and she goes out front and out back quite often. HOWEVER, MOST of the time, she's sitting in the window sill of the garage looking out the window..even when both doors are open.
As for a small attached catio? I suggest building a small screened in back porch that you can escape to, relax, and enjoy....with yur cats, and simply refer to it as a catio.

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 are very happy to make use of the entire cat proof fenced yard. It is a large space, but they seem to really enjoy always having somewhere to go they can't see from where they are standing... I think it gives the illusion of not being confined / trapped, which seems to be a of major importance to one of them. Every cat and situation is different, but I love seeing my cats enjoying a large area. As far as I have seen there is no down side!

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is a video of the first time my younger cat got to be out in the fenced yard without a leash.... The older better behaved one seen in some clips had already been out, wearing a tracker for a couple weeks. They really really enjoy having all the extra space! It has been a couple months now, where they can be out all day, and come in before dusk, and as far as I have seen they haven't even tried to climb the fence...