Catio or rehoming?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a pretty bad week. I have always been slightly allergic to my cats, but this year I started getting episodes where my chest felt tight. I convinced myself its the anxiety attacks that I have had all my life. Even went to the ER twice and nothing was found when they did an x-ray.

this week it got really bad and my doctor prescribed me albuterol as a rescue inhaler until I can see an allergist. I can breathe about 30 minutes after taking it.

The air feels so thick in my room. I dont even know if rehoming them would help. That room has had a weird smell since I moved in. But I know my breathing gets worse as soon as I am near the cats. And my symptoms improve when I leave the room.

I am trying to find an allergist but I read online that you are supposed to avoid your triggers if you get on a controller medication.

At this point, I don't know what to do. I love my cats, and can't bear the thought of abandoning them. But I just need to be able to breathe.

Do I build them a catio and just keep them outside all the time? Won't they be unhappy that way? I live in Miami and the summers are pretty hot. I would have to get my brother's permission before I can build one.

Anybody here keep their cats exclusively in a catio? Currently, they live in a room 24/7. It is the only way I could keep them. After my mother died, my brother decided he couldn't stand the cats and I could only keep them if I kept them in my room. I dont have enough money to live on my own.

Its 1:00 am and I am having a panic attack thinking that I might have to rehome my cats.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry this is happening to you. There are members here who have cat allergies and they may advice you soon.

A roofed catio would be my suggestion, with plenty of toys and layers for them to climb onto. I have asthma and fortunately I manage with daily vacuumming, no carpets at all, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry this is happening to you. There are members here who have cat allergies and they may advice you soon.

A roofed catio would be my suggestion, with plenty of toys and layers for them to climb onto. I have asthma and fortunately I manage with daily vacuumming, no carpets at all, etc.
That used to work for me too. Until I was stuck sharing my bedroom with them. The air in my room feels so thick. I am still doing some reason today, but didnt get to sleep until after 2:00 am :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I texted my oldest brother, but there's nothing he can do. Except let my cats roam outside his house. But my cats are indoor only. I know he can do whatever he wants with his money, but he has enough money to build a huge hangout building for his parties but then keeps saying he's going to build me a little building in his property for 2 years. My mom always told me not to expect help, even from family. But it does hurt my feelings. Just feeling down today.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have the financial resources and a space at your backyard, even a small one, just look for a paid labor to do a nice catio for you complete with all the amenities and roofing/heating. So the cats would be safe and there is no need for you to rehome your cats.

Meantime, it would help if you have a humidifier and air purifier in your room.

dragonlady2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a window that could allow the cats access to an outdoor space? A temporary catio could be made by zip tying two large dog crates together and butting them up against an open window. You would have to secure the crates to the house so they couldn’t squeeze out or move them. The crates could be added to as finances allow and they may enjoy the chance to be outside for periods of time. It could give you a little relief.
If you are interested I can walk you through what I did for one of our cats who wasn’t accepted by the rest of my cats.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I texted my oldest brother, but there's nothing he can do. Except let my cats roam outside his house. But my cats are indoor only. I know he can do whatever he wants with his money, but he has enough money to build a huge hangout building for his parties but then keeps saying he's going to build me a little building in his property for 2 years. My mom always told me not to expect help, even from family. But it does hurt my feelings. Just feeling down today.
I currently use a portable Catio during the summer months to give my two boys some fresh air. Otherwise their strictly indoor Cats. I hope too construct a permanent Catio attached to my home this coming spring. Catio building plans are readily available online.

Attachments