Catio access (need some ideas to teach cats!!)

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi all

Bear with me....

I live in a coach house. I have an outdoor space at the back of the house, but there is no access to it or the outside as the house is on the first floor.

My 3 cats are indoors only and so I am having a catio built for them in the garden. The first part is done (ie it's built mostly) and next is how they get to it.

The plan is that the run will butt up against the back wall of the house, and a hole will be put through into a sort of storage space which is under the stairs and accessed externally from the carport which belongs to the property.

We will then go through one of the stair risers and into the cupboard from the house side. Kind of not easy to explain, so I have done some rough sketches to try and show what I mean! Obviously not to scale, it looks like I have panthers!!!

There is no other way to arrange access but I am really keen to give them the chance to go outdoors safely. Of course, knowing cats I will spend a small fortune on something they won't use...

Any ideas on how to get the cats used to it and how to teach them how to go in and out? Other than food, anything else I can do to encourage them?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I feel like I have more questions that I do answers! Are you going to make the ramp an actual tunnel (so they don't just down into the storage area)? I think if you do a tunnel it will be much easier for them figure out what to do to get to the catio. The bottom of the ramp - where they will walk - can be lined with blankets/towels that carry their scent, making them 'recognize' this new area as their own. The tunnel can be from something as simple as chicken wire, so you can see through it if you feel you need to.

Also, just curious - are you able to see the cats while they are out there? I only ask because, I generally don't let Feeby out onto my enclosed patio unless I can keep an eye on her, and so I know whether or not there are strays wandering through my yard that could possibly create havoc.

1576443318074.png

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys

Only drawback with food is that (typical cat) they invariably don't like the same things. They don't seem very interested in cat nip...

Great tip re scent lining, hadn't thought of that!

I think I would prefer the ramp to be enclosed but I think the person building it thinks it will be open, so need a quick discussion there. It needs to be shut in really because the door for the cupboard opens out to 'the world' and its where I keep my bike... So I do access it regularly.

I do have an upstairs hall window where I can see probably 60% of the run.... However I had planned for them to have 24/7 access after a couple of weeks when I'm sure they're OK with it and can get in and out easily. Had a run previously for 4 Bengals and it was just open access for them whenever they wanted. Only thing is that we were much more rural there... May rethink that?

(Gah I have to say I hate posting here on my mobile as it jumps up to the top of the page every few seconds!!) grrrrr.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is, depending on how tall the catio is, you could use something like plexi-glass on the bottom few feet at ground level, so that any cats coming by couldn't actually attack your cats through it. Upper level perches or cat trees would still enable them to 'experience the wind blowing'/fresh air. There are a ton of things you could do to keep the outside cats from getting above the plexi-glass - think something like this:

1576447275258.png

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good idea re the plexiglass along the bottom. Catio is prob just under 6 ft tall as using existing garden fence for one side. There will be shelves etc for them to perch on but they haven't been put in yet :) it is also be gated so I can get into it when needed.

I suspect that Feora (who is the most unlucky / accident prone bug ever, but bravest of the three) will lead the way. I shall be heading to cat health shortly as got some issues going on that people might have some thoughts on :(

If anything I'm most worried about how they might react to strange or loud noises etc. They are very sweet cats but they are nervy of everything. :(

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol! They're funny little sticks :) that's why I intend to be out there with them for the first few times until I am sure they will be OK.

Two of them are the epitome of scaredy cats though. But even if they never use the run I will know they have the opportunity :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any ideas, other than a food trail. Or maybe simply keep the door closed at first and tell them they can't go in there, and if they're like most cats, or my Ruby for sure, that's the place they'll want to go to explore. :catman:

BTW, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 posted this link to some catios in another thread a while back. Might be something helpful in your planning:
hauspanther

Also I did a site search and found these threads with "catio" in the title:
Search Results for Query: catio

Good luck finishing it. Can't wait to see what it looks like once it's complete. :redheartpump:

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the catio is all built and the access routes through stairs and outside wall are all done!! I had hoped to get it built in the summer it's all sorted now.

Went through the very bottom stair in the end as the distance wasn't too far to the vertical drop in the sketch above. There's a door on this side of the stairs so I can close it off. I just need to add bits and pieces out there to finish it off - trays of grass, maybe some climbing things as well as the shelves, dangling ropes...

And typically, after now having it done I can't actually start them off using it because one of the girls now has a cone on (irritated skin issue) and she would no doubt get wedged in the various routes in and out. D'oh...

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with a plexiglass on the bottom few feet to prevent injuries through the sides. I have an outdoor aviary and we have a second layer of wire with about an inch gap between them for the purpose of keeping claws from outside attackers getting to the birds inside. So that would be an alternative depending on how it is constructed. Granted parakeets hanging out on the side are at more risk of diving eagles or hawks then your cats would be of a predator or another cat lashing out through wire. But I tend to be paranoid when it comes to safety.

I'd also do a netting over the rest of it because I have a catio and for some reason mosquitos love it. Especially if you aren't putting a flap to the house access point it could lead to flying pests using it as an access point to the house. Or put a flap of some sort, even a flap of cloth, to keep bugs from getting in the house.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh dear.

I am extremely worried, having looked at the gap again which has been cut into the stair riser, that Anubis is not going to be able to get through it. Or that he'll get stuck.

And if this is the case, there is absolutely nothing I can do to change it or increase it. Given the design of my house there is simply no other way to do the access point into the cupboard and out into the run.

If this is the case, The only way for them to get out would be to take them out in carriers and put them in the run, which in my mind defeats the objective as they then have no choice. I wouldn't be able to risk leaving the access open for the girls. And it will be a colossal waste of £600.

There's a gap between the riser and the vertical board in the cupboard so a tunnel has been put in so they can only go straight through. He's pretty big so I'm concerned he'll get stuck...

Previous owners had a cat so there is a cat flap in the front door, onto the road. Having just measured the bit that opens, it is 14cm high and about 16cm wide. Having also measured the door cut in the riser, that is actually 16cm high and 16cm wide - but that would also be the entire tunnel which is about a foot or so long.

Anubis stands approx 25cm at the shoulder from the floor (not exact as won't stand still lol) . As an idea he also weighs about 5.8kg. The girls on the other hand are about 3kg each and not as tall.

I honestly don't know now if I'm worrying for no reason... Is this just a disaster waiting to happen? /muttered swearing/

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Having also measured the door cut in the riser, that is actually 16cm high and 16cm wide - but that would also be the entire tunnel which is about a foot or so long.

Anubis stands approx 25cm at the shoulder from the floor (not exact as won't stand still lol) . As an idea he also weighs about 5.8kg. The girls on the other hand are about 3kg each and not as tall.
Could you perhaps make the tunnel larger/wider?
As long as the tunnel is indeed wider, then your cats could still step through, and have some space.

Not sure what you made your tunnel out of, but a member here, used some sort of 8 inch wide drainage pipe, for a cat walkway.
It would be better to have it be clear plastic, and to have easy access from that cupboard room, as Kieka Kieka mentioned, in case the cats get stuck or scared.

Maybe you could also find a piece of drainage tunnel...8-12 inch wide, or buy one at a store there, so that your cats can practice walking through one, in your living room, first.
I know that people use 'cat toy tunnels'...and their cats seem to like exploring, and running through these.
Amazon.com: cat tunnels for indoor cats large

This one looks like you could make it yourself out of boxes.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well he does squish away when he's nervous, ie such as when the holes were being done in the stairs and wall. It was just physically looking at him in comparison to the gap I was like 'ohhhh crap.. .'. But the gap is larger than the cat flap.

Um tunnel has been blocked in with wood, and the plasterboard on the cupboard side reinforced with same. As I didn't do the work I would need to chat to the guy who did it to see if it can be widened even if the door into the riser can't be done. That could be made wider but not higher.

Good idea re the pipes etc, I can certainly have a look at that, and cutting a whole in a box etc :)

Thanks everyone, some really good ideas etc. Can't implement some of them though while poor Dari is in a cone but eventually....!