Catgora, A Way to Mourn

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone, back in Connecticut, who invited passing collies in for a brushing, then spun and knit the resultant yarn. And friends with Samoyeds once sent me a box of fur when their two dogs blew their coats one spring. I sent it to my sister in Israel, who was a weaver. Did that cause a kerfuffle at customs! But I never knew about catgora. Now we do . . .

Here’s How to Keep Your Cat Forever

But is it not amusing that the spinster has Sphynx cats? And most of the article does talk about chiengora, dog fleece.

Maybe it's an option. Start saving those combings.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a friend in Canada who did that with fur from her dog. I think it is entirely dependent on how someone feels about it....comforting or creepy that you are wearing the fur of your deceased animal companion. I have always kept a piece of fur from my departed animals, and often footprints, but never fur in a great enough quantity to spin.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been considering felting, as well. I'd best get a box and a grooming glove now! But you are so right...that's a lovely way to memorialize!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it is no different then saving a bit of fur, which most of us do to remind us of our little ones. I think it is a beautiful way to memorialize them. Really no different then wearing their ashes in a necklace......