Cat yawning excessively, jaw is now clicking

dhinged

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a stray cat who was a little wild, and needed a lot of attention or she would whine and cry all the time. When she's outside she's very quiet and keeps to herself. However, when she comes inside she wants to be the center of attention, running around the place, stopping and staring intently at people, whining, clawing the furniture wanting you to play with her, and now has turned to yawning to get attention. I do pay attention to her but she wants it almost all the time which is impossible. She tends to shake her head (like she's got water on it) when I walk up or yawns, and this has turned into the hilarious (though concerning) action of her yawning and then shaking her head at the same time, causing her tongue to flap about. If I'm walking up and I see her yawning, I stop until she's done, then continue and she'll shake her head. 

However, in the morning when I wake up, no matter what I'm doing, as long as I'm not moving much (snoozing, reading the news, typing on my laptop), she'll just start yawning excessively, like 3 or 4 times a minute, and her jaw now makes clicking noises. I think she's yawned so much she's hurt something in her jaw. I started giving her attention at certain times when she first yawns and it kind of went away, but I can't do this all the time (she really is a princess and people have said this) and it is bothering me a lot. I've decided to just let her out when she starts yawning too much even though it's against the rules at our apartment complex which means I can't put her collar so they'll just think she's a stray (they don't remember who has what cat and they don't care to look it up until there's a problem). She tends to run away from everything outside so she's not a problem but I really don't want her to be outside most of the time.

I feel like the problem is not the yawning but the princess-like behavior wanting attention all the time and wanting to be basically treated like a little kid wanting to play. I don't understand why she wants such a high level of energy or attention when she's inside. When I first adopted her she was just wild and nothing but a lot of attention and play got her to calm down. Is there some way to get her to just calm down and stop expecting so much attention?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site.  Thanks for adopting this stray cat.  Do you know how old this cat is?  How long have you had her? 

Like humans, people sometimes yawn when their lungs aren't getting enough oxygen.  Or because they are sleepy and can't/won't go to sleep.  Or because they are really bored.  For cats, it can sometimes mean their teeth hurt--especially with jaws clicking.

Your cat should first go to the vets to get this checked out.  And if appropriate/needed: spayed/neutered/dewormed/rabies shots, etc.  And microchipped, perhaps.

If the vet rules out medical issues, you can try Feliway plug ins (calming) and play with her as long and as often as your schedule permits.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I moved your post to the Behavior forum as you may get more responses here for your kitty wanting so much attention.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may have to get her a playmate to help take some of the energy off. If that is not in the cards, you will have to play with her more. Yes, cats are needy creatures and demand attention. She got used to having extra attention when she was still partly wild, and now wants it to continue.