Cat wound after spaying?

Sam996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just got my female Cat spayed on Friday and the vet I took her to didn't provide her a cone saying I just needed to check she wouldn't lick her wound. Well I checked her but during the night she still must have licked her wound cause today her wound didn't looked too good to me. After buying her a cone I took her to the vet and he gave me a gel to help the wound heal that I've applied and he said that together with the antibiotics she's already taking since Wednesday now that she doesn't lick her wounds anymore for sure because of the cone the wound should heal fine but I'm still worried. Should I get her to another vet and ask another opinion? She's 7 months old and she's eating and overall looking fine just a bit upset now that she has the cone she also had blood analysis on Sunday and she had no infections. I'll post a photo of the wound to know your opinion about it. Thank you for the help!
IMG-20221129-WA0024.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I meant she's taking antibiotics since Saturday, the day after the operation, not Wednesday

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is concerning. Can you email the pics to the vet?

I've never had to use a cone with my girls, but each kitty is different.

Sam996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is concerning. Can you email the pics to the vet?

I've never had to use a cone with my girls, but each kitty is different.
I did he said she had been licking the wound and should be okay with this gel he gave me and if she keeps taking antibiotics but I'm still worried...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you might want to have her looked at by another vet just to make sure. That doesn’t look right to me. Has she licked herself raw? And is the incision fully closed?

By the way, you can take the cone off when she eats, and you might want to put her in a baby onesie some of the time.

Please keep us posted.

Sam996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you might want to have her looked at by another vet just to make sure. That doesn’t look right to me. Has she licked herself raw? And is the incision fully closed?

By the way, you can take the cone off when she eats, and you might want to put her in a baby onesie some of the time.

Please keep us posted.
I think she might have pulled a little at her stitches or something. She seems okay though since she eats and acts normal, and the cone she has allows her to eat and drink. But yeah I might go to another vet tomorrow

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know how she is doing and what you decide to do. Hope she continues to do well. Once she passes a certain point in her healing she will no longer need to wear the cone. Hope all goes well and she continues to heal.

Sam996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how she is doing and what you decide to do. Hope she continues to do well. Once she passes a certain point in her healing she will no longer need to wear the cone. Hope all goes well and she continues to heal.
She had to get stitched up again and now needs to stay in the carrier with the cone till tomorrow morning to help the wound heal. I hope this time everything will go well. The cone isn't too big but enough to not allow her to lick the wound (bigger cones are too large for her), which is apparently what the problem the fact that she kept licking herself and pulled the stitches reopening the wound. Anyway if she can't lick her wound and pull the stitches anymore thanks to the cone, this time the wound should heal fine, now that it got stitched up again. She's okay but on the vet advice I can't let her put of the carrier yet so I just gave her a bit to eat inside of it and can't wait for these few hours to go buy so I can let her out.