Cat Worms? Just worms? Take to the Vet?

Baz84

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey

I have a Maine Coon – who is exactly 10 months old today. Has weighs 14 pounds for 3 weeks now. He is an indoor cat. OCCASIONALLY I let him roam on the screened in balcony. We live in Florida

I encountered and issue… WORMS!! Before I go to a vet and spend > $100 – I thought I would run this by you guys.

My set-up: Tidy Breeze Pellets. Replace his pee pad twice weekly. I clean his litter box DAILY. I place the poop into a Litter Genie Disposal. Get rid of the poo bag weekly.

Now – this week when I’m removing the bag of poo from the Litter Genie – I noticed SUPER TINY white-ish worms swarming around. First time I see this!! No I did not take a picture. I’m trying to figure out if they grew because of the poo/moisture inside of the litter genie… or if they came from inside my cat. Now – my cat’s poop is well formed – not dehydrated or loose. Healthy bowels – I have never seen worms on his poop when I scoop it. But then again I NEVER looked that closely – also the worms are super tiny. He EATS or wants to EAT a lot… but he’s always been that way. When I first got him at 16 weeks, he was dewormed by the breeder, then twice by my vet (when we got his shots/health check up).

Any thoughts/advice?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you should take him to the vet to be checked along with a fresh poop sample only way to be sure none of us are vets here the worms you see could be anything from parasite type worms in your cat or just small maggots from drain flies etc, or some other native insect local to your area at 10 months he should be close to his yearly health check up anyways might as well get that done at the same time

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering where you saw them, I think those are probably maggots, not worms. Intestinal worms don't live very long outside the body. The Litter Genie should keep flies out, but perhaps a random fly laid the eggs before you scooped.

But if you want to de-worm him, if the vet has seen him in the last year they'll most likely be able to sell you a couple of Drontal pills without seeing him this time. But they may want a stool sample. Give them a call to ask, if that's what you want to do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It most likely is from larvae that are attracted to that environment, not from your cat. But your boy should be wormed anyway, most cats get worms from their mother or exposed to the outside at ALL will pick up worms. I get a prescription from my vet, just talk to him and inform him it is coming, and order mine from a PetMeds, or any other site. Just make sure what you get takes care of tapeworm, OTC meds don't and tapeworm is very common. I get Profender, it is a topical that takes care of all worms. Make sure you apply it HIGH up on the neck, almost between the ears, so your cat can't lick it, if he does it causes terrible foaming at the mouth. I had this happen, and though your cat will be alright it is scary. I get Profender for 12.00-15.00, when the vet offered to get it it was 50.00! It really is pretty cheap to have the vet administer Drontal while there during a checkup, and they do it.....

Jen1954

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey

I have a Maine Coon – who is exactly 10 months old today. Has weighs 14 pounds for 3 weeks now. He is an indoor cat. OCCASIONALLY I let him roam on the screened in balcony. We live in Florida

I encountered and issue… WORMS!! Before I go to a vet and spend > $100 – I thought I would run this by you guys.

My set-up: Tidy Breeze Pellets. Replace his pee pad twice weekly. I clean his litter box DAILY. I place the poop into a Litter Genie Disposal. Get rid of the poo bag weekly.

Now – this week when I’m removing the bag of poo from the Litter Genie – I noticed SUPER TINY white-ish worms swarming around. First time I see this!! No I did not take a picture. I’m trying to figure out if they grew because of the poo/moisture inside of the litter genie… or if they came from inside my cat. Now – my cat’s poop is well formed – not dehydrated or loose. Healthy bowels – I have never seen worms on his poop when I scoop it. But then again I NEVER looked that closely – also the worms are super tiny. He EATS or wants to EAT a lot… but he’s always been that way. When I first got him at 16 weeks, he was dewormed by the breeder, then twice by my vet (when we got his shots/health check up).

Any thoughts/advice?
Hi... i'm just seeing this...but,FINALLY I've found someone with the same problem I'm having. I've been using a litter genie for approximately 5 years. This is my second year using the tidy cat breeze system and recently I've noticed little brown-ish white,looks like a grain of rice, on the inside of the lid on the litter genie. I've never had this issue before. I had saw what I thought was a maggot on the inside of the bag when I emptied it so that is what brought me here. I'm wondering what you did to remedy that issue ? I've looked everywhere on the Internet to see if I can find anything to help with what's going on in/with my litter genie. Thanks for your time!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi... i'm just seeing this...but,FINALLY I've found someone with the same problem I'm having. I've been using a litter genie for approximately 5 years. This is my second year using the tidy cat breeze system and recently I've noticed little brown-ish white,looks like a grain of rice, on the inside of the lid on the litter genie. I've never had this issue before. I had saw what I thought was a maggot on the inside of the bag when I emptied it so that is what brought me here. I'm wondering what you did to remedy that issue ? I've looked everywhere on the Internet to see if I can find anything to help with what's going on in/with my litter genie. Thanks for your time!
This thread was last updated in 2021 the OP likely isn't around anymore.

As to your question, i would sanitize the whole unit with bleach and rinse thuroghly. Bleach will kill pretty much anything.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with the previous responses. The original post seems as if maggots were the problem, not active intestinal worms. Every case of worms I have ever encountered has shown evidence in the actual poop, not later in a receptacle. If you suspect worms in your cat, call the vet by all means, but cleaning the unit as was recommended is probably a good place to start.

alicat83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am having the same issue with my tidy cat breeze system, i do not use a litter genie though!
I'm wondering if they come from inside the pads or the pellets because they are always under the pad in the tray of the litter box!