Cat won't wear e-collar. Is cat suit a good alternative?

MidnighMeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, I had my cat spayed four days ago, and she keeps removing her e-collar and licking her incision, which slows down the healing process. I've been staying up late just to put the collar back on whenever she removes it, but unfortunately, I'm not Captain America—I can't do this all day. Now, I've come across the idea of a DIY cat recovery suit. What's your opinion about a cat suit? Does it work? Is it a good alternative to e-collars? These past few days have aged me five years, so I could really use your opinions. Thanks a lot!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, you can try a cat recovery suit and see if that helps. Of course, allow her time with the suit off just for the purpose of airing out the area and checking how it is healing. That is, assuming, she doesn't find a way to get out of the suit too! It's been known to happen!!

In theory, she really shouldn't need it much longer. I did not use anything on any of my cats and they were just fine, but I know that is not always the case with every cat!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I'd not worry about it. She is going to lick initially to get the vet stink off of her, then she should be okay. Check the incision and look for any weeping, open incision, or if it turns angry red looking.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine wouldnt wear the collar and she licked herself to an infection so I did get her a suit. She hated every second of it and would just flip herself over but she healed beautifully