Cat won't use newspaper litter!

mylakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So about a week and a half ago, on 9/11, my apartment burned down (along with 20 other units!) While I was able to grab one cat when I initially left the apartment, I couldn't find the other one, Ollie. We left the door open and Ollie ran out about 45 minutes later when the firemen started spraying water into the apartment. (Because for a cat fire is no biggie, but water? Hell no!) 

As a result Ollie suffered blistering burns on his paws. They have healed a lot over the past week and a half, and we have been able to take off the e-collar and the bandages. While he was bandaged up, he had a hard time walking so I had to place him in his litter box and pick him up after he was done, place all his food in front of him, etc. 

Now that he's walking, and feeling more like himself, he has started to refuse to use the litterbox with Yesterday's News pellets or shredded newspaper, even though the vet says absolutely no clumping litter for another week and a half. Initially his paws were weeping and had a lot of blister juice etcetera which is why I couldn't use clumping litter. Now a lot of the black skin has fallen off and there is pink skin underneath... doesn't seem like there is a lot of moisture on his paws. 

Do you think it's okay to disregard the vet's advice and bring back the clumping litter a little earlier? 

How can I get him to use either shredded newspaper or yesterday's news? I am staying at my parent's house until I find another apartment and I can't have them peeing all over their house. 

Last edited:

santan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good GRIEF!

You poor thing! And your poor babies! I am so sorry about the fire and trauma for all of you.

As for Ollie and clumping litter, I wouldn't push it. The granularity of conventional litter, while it may seem soft, can actually act like a fine emery board on new, pink, healing skin. It can also find minute spots of moisture and cling, setting him up for possible infection. Not worth it. I'd rather play poop and pee police and try to head them off before accidents for a few more days than risk it.

Cats are darn fussy about their litter, aren't they?

Kisses for your poor little ones and a big hug for you.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea, but I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for the fire! How traumatic for you and your poor kitties! I'm so glad that you all got out alive. I hope that your kitty heals up super quickly.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would NEVER disregard a vet's advice on something like this. If he really hates the paper litter, you could try lining a box with puppy training pads and changing them frequently (or having extra boxes to compensate). I know it's unconventional, but it's worth a go and is likely to be as safe on his paws as the paper litter.

I don't know if the paper bedding used for horses is any different to the cat litter versions, but that might be worth investigating too.

I'm so sorry Ollie has had to go through all this (not to mention you!). I really hope he's fully healed up soon :vibes:

Last edited:

karys3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't find the brand, but my Gidget wouldn't go in pellets or shreds, but I found a newspaper litter that is little round balls that she finally went in. I bought it at Petsmart. It was right next to the Yesterdays News pellets.

If you can't find it, maybe you can ball up some paper yourself?

Tough situation. I'd help if I could.

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first cat from 15 years ago was a stray, he had serve cuts all over his paws and legs. We tried the paper method but what ended up working was stimulating his privates 4-5 times a day until he went. If we didn't do it enough times a day he would go in other places in the house. 

Last edited: