Cat won't take Medication

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had been losing weight and the vet could not figure out what was wrong. She believed that the cat has acid reflux and the vet said to give her a 1/4 piece of a acid reducer pill (famotidine) to help her out with the reflux. She took the pill for around a month and gained weight and was doing so much better. She went up from 6.6 to 7.2 lbs and you could feel her body filling out. It was working. But now she is refusing to take the pill. She hides it in her cheeks, spits it out, bites, and it is stressing her out too much. I tried putting it in food, but then she won't eat the food. I can tell the acid is a problem again, by noises she makes and the fact that now that she isn't taking the pill she is losing weight again.

Does anyone have any suggestions as of how to get her to take her pill? Nothing that I do is working!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can the pill be crushed? If so, crush it into a dish and add just enough water from canned tuna or chicken to mask the taste. Once she has lapped up the mixture, you can give her a piece of the tuna or chicken as a treat. If that doesn't work, try mixing it with some baby food meat (no garlic, onion). You could also ask the vet about going through a vet pharmacy that can compound it into a different form/flavor.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've done both, and she knows it is there and won't take it. She's her own worst enemy lol.

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that suggestion!
I actually wrapped the pill in melted mozzarella from pizza and she took it... Of course that will be a one timething!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for that suggestion! I actually wrapped the pill in melted mozzarella from pizza and she took it... Of course that will be a one timething!
Fingers crossed it's not a one time thing or if it is you find another yummy treat for her. :crossfingers: Sometimes we have to be creative when it comes to our cats taking medicine, good luck!

Here are a few other threads that might have some good ideas for you:
How do you get your cat to take pills?
Cat Refuses To Take Pills!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are some pill doughs available on amazon...
Have you tried greenies? Also maybe crushing up temptations and use some dough roll it in the crushed temptations?
Also, a pill syringe is really helpful.
I got this one because my cat takes 2 pills and liquid 2x a day.... I tried all the tricks but now I just cuddle him close and use the syringe.
AYECEHI Pet Pill Dispenser 2Pack Pet Syringe Kit Medicine Feeder Feeding Tool with Soft Silicone Tip for Dog Cat Puppy Kitten - Blue Pet Supplies : AYECEHI Pet Pill Dispenser 2Pack Pet Syringe Kit Medicine Feeder Feeding Tool with Soft Silicone Tip for Dog Cat Puppy Kitten - Blue : Amazon.com

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been giving her any meds since Friday because she came down with a stomach bug, and has now gone down 6 more ounces! Gah. They vets said that a lot of animals have been having similar issues lately with changes in routines and stress from their owners, who are all stressed an anxious. But they gave her a shot of the meds today, so hopefully she will be on the mend now!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
But they gave her a shot of the meds today, so hopefully she will be on the mend now!
Fingers crossed, I hope the shot helps and she puts on weight soon. :crossfingers:

wrs2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed, I hope the shot helps and she puts on weight soon. :crossfingers:
Thank you! Though they said it could also be the thyroid, which is totally a different subject from this, but we have been testing her for it, and it was high, but not high enough, which lead to the decision that acidreflux was causing the issue of weight loss, after everything else was ruled out, hence the meds that she won't take, which was the point of this topic lol.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Though they said it could also be the thyroid, which is totally a different subject from this, but we have been testing her for it, and it was high, but not high enough, which lead to the decision that acidreflux was causing the issue of weight loss, after everything else was ruled out, hence the meds that she won't take, which was the point of this topic lol.
Try to find a pill syringe on amazon- its so easy to use trust me