Cat won't stop licking herself open

jeditabs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I'm hoping someone on here can help. 

Just over a year and a half ago, we noticed our cat Mara (2 years old at the time), was licking a specific spot on her lower belly raw--to the point it was oozing and bleeding. We started seeing a vet about it, and nothing has worked. After over $3000 in medical trials, investigations, stress medications, behaviour medications, etc, we had to give up. She has been living in a cone pretty much for the last year and a half, and has now figured out how to get at that spot even with the cone on.

We were worried it might be a parasite or something internal, but the vet said there is nothing else going on. We are at a complete loss. Today we even tried the bitter cat tape. She chewed through it in half an hour and got at the spot again. I don't want my cat to have to live in a cone, but we really don't know what else can be done.

Has anyone else experienced this with their cats before, and was there a solution?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Darlin, I know it sounds silly, but try chamomile tea.  It is a natural anti-anxiety remedy, and in some individuals actually works when more mainstream medications don't.  Just depends on the individual, human or cat.  You can give 1/2 teaspoon doses, once in the morning, once at night. If it is VERY bad, you can start off with 3 doses a day for 3 days, then cut back to two.  AND you can dab or spray the cool tea on the site to reduce irritation and itching.  Make a fresh cup every third day.  No guarantees on this, but you can get the tea bags at the grocery store for under 5 bucks.  It's good for anxious humans, too, although for humans, I highly recommend NOT cooling it, and adding sweetener.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a food elimination trial at all? My boy licks himself raw and we're currently doing an elimination diet to see if it helps. I hate the food but it's only for 12 weeks. We have to be super strict though.

It could also be that she's allergic to something in the area. Have you given any antihistamines a trial?

Last but not least has the vet ever tried her on a short course of prednisolone? How did she respond when on it? Again, my boy has to have a regular dose of it. Another thing I hate but it's the only thing that stops him tearing chunks out of himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeditabs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried a food elimination trial at all? My boy licks himself raw and we're currently doing an elimination diet to see if it helps. I hate the food but it's only for 12 weeks. We have to be super strict though.

It could also be that she's allergic to something in the area. Have you given any antihistamines a trial?

Last but not least has the vet ever tried her on a short course of prednisolone? How did she respond when on it? Again, my boy has to have a regular dose of it. Another thing I hate but it's the only thing that stops him tearing chunks out of himself.
Hi Tobilei, thanks for the reply. As I said in my original post we have tried everything already. Prednislone, checking for allergies, food trials, mood and behavioural medications, you name it. Literally nothing has worked. We cannot afford anymore food trials, or medication. After more than $3000 we burned through our entire savings trying to find a medical solution.

nimeowma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sorry I can't offer anything better but if it were me I might try wrapping her up in some kitty clothes that restrict her access to the area. she might be uncomfortable but maybe she can be trained out of the habit? while wrapped up I'd also apply some kitty-safe ointment to help heal the area. I know of someone whose cat used to lick her belly raw and was fortunately too plump to be able to reach the area while cone'd. as far as I know she hasn't resumed licking, and that was a couple of years ago. i hope you figure something out!!

tlco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My rescued cat from a Cattery gets very upset and over grooms her back till she is raw. We did all the above and nothing helped vet was offering Prozac as a medication but I try to avoid these types of meds if I can. I put the chamomile tea in her/their water daily and during really bad times I put her in a baby onesie..The cats back legs go thru the arms of it and the bum and tail are exposed thru the neck cut a small hole in the front area where it would norally cover diaper slip over head snap the buttons under chest. This helps I buy the heavier ones cuz they stay on better I also use AD ointment on her back and change her (clothes) daily and a bath in oatmeal shampoo. ..I don't know if it's all the attention or the whole thing but she starts to calm and forgets to lick and heals up. We go thru this periods often the vet feel like she was over breed and it seams when she does get this way she gathers all her mouse and smaller toys carries them around like babies then hides them in a nest and when she forgets where they are "calls" for them...so sad she was over breed like this. I don't understand people like that. Good luck with your fur baby.

Last edited:

jeditabs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Darlin, I know it sounds silly, but try chamomile tea.  It is a natural anti-anxiety remedy, and in some individuals actually works when more mainstream medications don't.  Just depends on the individual, human or cat.  You can give 1/2 teaspoon doses, once in the morning, once at night. If it is VERY bad, you can start off with 3 doses a day for 3 days, then cut back to two.  AND you can dab or spray the cool tea on the site to reduce irritation and itching.  Make a fresh cup every third day.  No guarantees on this, but you can get the tea bags at the grocery store for under 5 bucks.  It's good for anxious humans, too, although for humans, I highly recommend NOT cooling it, and adding sweetener.
Hmm! I had never thought of that, but we will try it. Thank you. Hopefully it works. :)

jeditabs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

sorry I can't offer anything better but if it were me I might try wrapping her up in some kitty clothes that restrict her access to the area. she might be uncomfortable but maybe she can be trained out of the habit? while wrapped up I'd also apply some kitty-safe ointment to help heal the area. I know of someone whose cat used to lick her belly raw and was fortunately too plump to be able to reach the area while cone'd. as far as I know she hasn't resumed licking, and that was a couple of years ago. i hope you figure something out!!
Thanks for the suggestion nimeowma! Unfortunately, we did try this already. Our cat is crazy and can literally ninja herself out of anything. We tried cat tape this weekend, but the spot she is licking is in an awkward spot (almost between her legs) so we couldn't wrap it as well. And she ninja'd herself out of it anyway. :/

jeditabs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My rescued cat from a Cattery gets very upset and over grooms her back till she is raw. We did all the above and nothing helped vet was offering Prozac as a medication but I try to avoid these types of meds if I can. I put the chamomile tea in her/their water daily and during really bad times I put her in a baby onesie..The cats back legs go thru the arms of it and the bum and tail are exposed thru the neck cut a small hole in the front area where it would norally cover diaper slip over head snap the buttons under chest. This helps I buy the heavier ones cuz they stay on better I also use AD ointment on her back and change her (clothes) daily and a bath in oatmeal shampoo. ..I don't know if it's all the attention or the whole thing but she starts to calm and forgets to lick and heals up. We go thru this periods often the vet feel like she was over breed and it seams when she does get this way she gathers all her mouse and smaller toys carries them around like babies then hides them in a nest and when she forgets where they are "calls" for them...so sad she was over breed like this. I don't understand people like that. Good luck with your fur baby.
Oh no! I am so sorry to hear that your poor furbaby went through that. People just seem to not think about their health sometimes.

I hadn't heard of using the onesie backwards like that, but we will try it tonight! Hopefully that helps. We are also going to try the chammomile tea thing. I *hope* it works. I just hate the idea of her having to live in a cone for the next 15+ years.

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Tobilei, thanks for the reply. As I said in my original post we have tried everything already. Prednislone, checking for allergies, food trials, mood and behavioural medications, you name it. Literally nothing has worked. We cannot afford anymore food trials, or medication. After more than $3000 we burned through our entire savings trying to find a medical solution.
No problem, I do understand the frustration. My boy is 2 1/2 and since we've had him with us I think we've been at the vet at least on average once a month. Times where we're there once a week, others it spaces out and we get a whole month before we go back. He gets itchy. Sometimes he scratches, but he also grooms and grooms until he's bald and rashy and will tear chunks of fur out of himself. We've had times of hot spots, blistering ear tips and bumps and lumps. He's been on prednil constantly now for well over a year and a half. We've tried numerous dietary changes but until the last month hadn't gone all out with the Hills z/d and royal canin hypoallergenic. Not much has worked for him either. He maintains somewhat okay at 2.5mg of prednil a day and on top of the elimination diet we've just started phenergan (he didn't respond at all to Iramine, Claratyne or Zyrtec nor did we find Clomicalm any benefit, it just made him drool and go off his food). Adding all the expensive foods, medications, lotions and potions, blood tests and medications we've probably spent about the same. If all else fails and we hit the end of this food trial we're hoping to give Atopica a try however it has a pretty hefty price tag in Australia (I believe there is a rebate overseas but doesn't seem to be available here) and maybe a trial on prozac at the same time.

Our vet explained to us that often one single thing doesn't work so it might require a lifetime of ensuring everything in his environment is low allergen. Hypoallergenic prescription food combined with not going outdoors, combined with antihistamines and atopica or prednil, washing our belongings only in sensitive skin fragrance free washing powder etc etc and ensuring we wash his bedding often.

I'm sorry I can't be of much help, but you have plenty of my empathy. It's both expensive and incredibly frustrating to deal with. You just want them to be healthy and happy.