Cat won't stop getting on my kitchen table

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! It's been a while! I'm here looking for suggestions for an issue I'm having with my cat (7F).

One of my cats has recently gotten into the bad habit of laying on our kitchen table. I don't think she's ever done it before (not to my knowledge anyway), so this is a relatively new habit. I started noticing the issue when I started using tablecloths. We got a new table last year that hasn't been holding up as well as I would like, so we decided to get a tablecloth to protect it from further damage. Almost as soon as I started using the tablecloth, I started noticing cat hair all over the placemats and runner. It's clear that she likes the way the tablecloth feels and has developed this new bad habit. She doesn't do it when we're around, so I've never physically seen her on the table, but the amount of cat hair she leaves behind tells me she's probably sleeping/rolling around on it. She does occasionally get up on the kitchen counters, but so this isn't really out of character for her. The difference is that when she gets on the counters, she doesn't tend to linger there, so it doesn't bother me as much.

So far, the only thing that seems to work is pushing in the chairs, which seems like a simple enough solution. However, if we ever forget to push in the chairs, without fail, there is cat hair on the table the next morning. This is why I'm looking for a more permanent solution to correct the issue. I have also tried changing the tablecloth, but she doesn't seem to discriminate against different fabrics.

Our kitchen/living room area is small, so there isn't room for a cat tree to give her somewhere else elevated to lounge. Also, we use our kitchen table for every meal (I work from home, so I use it a lot), so putting something like aluminum foil, etc. on the table isn't really an option either, as it would prevent us from using our table.

Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put a shelf on some wall. Takes up no space and lets your cat be higher up.
All of the wall space is occupied by either cabinets or windows, so there unfortunately isn't room to do this. Even if there was, there wouldn't be anywhere for her to gain access to the shelf if we put one in. Thanks for the creative suggestion though :)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean all the time? See she likes a blanket or table cloth on the ground. Any where she can be near you

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you mean all the time? See she likes a blanket or table cloth on the ground. Any where she can be near you
Luckily, she doesn't do it all the time! In fact, she only does it when we're not around, so I don't think it has anything to do with being around us. I think she just likes being elevated, and the tablecloth must be comfortable haha

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have a cat tower to climb? Can you put a blanket for her on the ground?

Personally I would buy a clear plastic table cloth cover, and either leave it on permanently or remove it when it's time to eat.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a covering that only goes on there at night, so you don't have to clean it every morning? Or just remove the table cloth, and put it back on in the morning or before eating a meal. Edit: I see that I'm basically just repeating what christinemoon christinemoon said.

The unfortunate reality is that when we train cats to not go on the ktichen table, sometimes they learn something different -- not to go on it when we are around. I don't know that there is a ton to be done about it. With smaller areas there are solutions like double sided tape, but I don't know that any of that is really feasible for a dining room table.

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she have a cat tower to climb? Can you put a blanket for her on the ground?

Personally I would buy a clear plastic table cloth cover, and either leave it on permanently or remove it when it's time to eat.
Yes, they have 2 cat trees - 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs. The only floor that doesn't have one is the floor with the kitchen/living room because it's basically just 1 room, and there isn't room for a cat tree there.

I don't particularly want a clear tablecloth cover...I think they're a little tacky. I also have runners and placemats, so the clear cover would look odd over those things. It would be a pain to take off between uses because we have a lazy susan, and we also use it a lot since I'm at home all day. Might be something to consider if I get desperate though. Thank you!

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about a covering that only goes on there at night, so you don't have to clean it every morning? Or just remove the table cloth, and put it back on in the morning or before eating a meal. Edit: I see that I'm basically just repeating what christinemoon christinemoon said.

The unfortunate reality is that when we train cats to not go on the ktichen table, sometimes they learn something different -- not to go on it when we are around. I don't know that there is a ton to be done about it. With smaller areas there are solutions like double sided tape, but I don't know that any of that is really feasible for a dining room table.
Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not sure a covering would work with my situation. It's starting to sound like I just need to remember to push the chairs in. As you said, not much can be done about it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you perhaps are using any bleach when washing your table cloths, I would recommend discontinuing the use of bleach! Some cats love the smell of bleach, and go nuts over it. If that's happening in your household, she could be attracted to the table cloth for that factor alone, even if the table cloth is also comfy for her.

selpats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you perhaps are using any bleach when washing your table cloths, I would recommend discontinuing the use of bleach! Some cats love the smell of bleach, and go nuts over it. If that's happening in your household, she could be attracted to the table cloth for that factor alone, even if the table cloth is also comfy for her.
That is so bizarre! I am not using bleach on my tablecloths, but that's good to know!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of the wall space is occupied by either cabinets or windows, so there unfortunately isn't room to do this. Even if there was, there wouldn't be anywhere for her to gain access to the shelf if we put one in. Thanks for the creative suggestion though :)
When you have paw prints on your heart, you also have paw prints on the counter, the table, the bedsheets, the clean laundry, the window sills, the knick knack shelves....

If you cannot find a way to give your cat an alternate vertical space, you have no other choice but to accept your cat getting up on the table.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of chairs do you have? Could you cover the seats (or just one seat) with something even comfier? My kitty loves sitting on one of my fabric stools pushed in under the table.

Or do you have room to put a low box on the table overnight? I can't keep my cat off the dining table, but once I put a short-sided box there (it's the kind you get from breweries or liquor stores), she spends her time in that box; I think she can't help it, the box-sitting is in her DNA 😄

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Other than the chair thing are there scents you like that she doesn’t that are nonetheless harmless to her? Could you have a “cat tablecloth,” then whisk it away for a human one at appropriate moments? …I’m reaching here and got bupkis.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use one small kinda tall cat tree in the corner of my dining area(single bedroom apartment) it helps kinda but in reality theres no way to keep constant eye on graycie to keep her off our table so i just accept it as is as long as she isnt getting into the food its fine .a lil extra cleaning before eating is no big deal really. micro fiber cloth works great at getting the hair/dust etc. catmcannon said it best
When you have paw prints on your heart, you also have paw prints on the counter, the table, the bedsheets, the clean laundry, the window sills, the knick knack shelves....

If you cannot find a way to give your cat an alternate vertical space, you have no other choice but to accept your cat getting up on the table.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has an article with tips:

Removing the tablecloth after meals might help. It may or may not be a pain to do but if it works to keep the cat off .. :) Is there space under the table to put a small box for the cat to hide / play in? Or maybe you can DIY a hammock to hang under the table or one of the chairs.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try a motion activated toy that moves, sings or shrieks when it senses motion - check thrift stores for used Halloween decorations or one of those obnoxious singing Bill Bass things. Having someone other than you give her a fright once or twice might be all it takes to keep her off.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about motion detector spray. Depending on the cat it may work. One of mine is to curious to resist however worked miracles for other two. Pet safe spray deternt.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a bottle of Ssscat and put it on the table when you finish eating. It senses motion, and will shoot a puff of air at the cat. This is a no-fail solution. Neither of my cats get on the table or counters now.

Ssscat