Cat Won't Stop Coughing, 3 Vets Stumped

playerdark

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about coughing, but my cat had a bad case of pain in the face area with dripping eyes, vet, dermatologist and ophthalmologist could not help. Then a new vet suggested to make test for fungus and bacteria. Fungus was negative but she had a bad bacterial infection that required special antibiotics. I was ready to give up on her, so bad was it but that vet saved her. Maybe there are more such tests that could be run. Sometimes one vet just isn't up to date with his knowledge like my old one.
Also, I believe you have a right to the pictures of her lung, if you paid for it

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
20 times a day does sound like a lot of coughing. Are you able to upload the video you made of your cat coughing?
I have a cat with asthma and also one that reverse sneezes. The reverse sneezing could be mistaken for coughing. Most of the videos i have seen of asthma in cats look very similar. They lean their heads forward and low to the ground as they cough. My asthma cats cough sounds quite wet and wheezy.
I honestly don't remember having to do any major tests to get my cat diagnosed for her asthma. I see your vet said he was worried about giving him asthma treatment because of kidneys but surely one test shot wouldn't cause too much harm. Surely it would be less of a strain on his body than anesthetic and xrays. Also what would he do if it were asthma?

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
20 times a day does sound like a lot of coughing. Are you able to upload the video you made of your cat coughing?
I have a cat with asthma and also one that reverse sneezes. The reverse sneezing could be mistaken for coughing. Most of the videos i have seen of asthma in cats look very similar. They lean their heads forward and low to the ground as they cough. My asthma cats cough sounds quite wet and wheezy.
I honestly don't remember having to do any major tests to get my cat diagnosed for her asthma. I see your vet said he was worried about giving him asthma treatment because of kidneys but surely one test shot wouldn't cause too much harm. Surely it would be less of a strain on his body than anesthetic and xrays. Also what would he do if it were asthma?
This post has a video of a reverse sneeze.
Reverse sneezing and sneezing

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
well if you can get the vet to give you script for albuterol you can use an empty toilet paper roll on his muzzle to get him to breathe the mist-know anyone with a nebulizer? The albuterol needs to be given if he is coughing that much. A cat can run out of breathe and cause issues. hows his color of membranes in his mouth/gums? I think you need a new vet ASAP!!! watch for blue gums/tongue. that's a medical emergency.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
It may sound like I am overreacting but sadly I have seen other people who came onto our yahoo group describing what you are and they didn't get medical help soon enough. Please take this seriously. PM your location and I can help see if my community can recommend a good asthma vet. I am in new England and theres a few vets here who know how to treat asthma.

csts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a good point, csts csts , and good to see you around again!
How are your kitties doing?:wave3:
Aw, thanks! Not to derail the thread, but I and my kitties moved in with my parents and their two cats Fry (the one with the crypto infection--we think he got it during one of the times he escaped and hid in the bushes) and Leela in San Diego so I could find save some money for a house of my own. My Sakura and Char-Char quickly became friends with Fry and Leela. I'll be sure to post some pictures of all four of them later in the appropriate threads when I have some more time.

Okay, back to the OT: About the cryptococcosis, the vets took some blood samples from Fry and it took them a few days to get the results. I think there are a few different test methods, though. The crypto infections can cause granulomas to grow inside and outside of the body, and that they do form inside the lungs sometimes. That spot on your cat's lung X-ray could be a granuloma (but it could also be something else, too). I read that cryptoccocosis in the upper respiratory area sometimes causes pneumonia as well. I hope you were able to get a copy of the X-rays for the second opinion so that you can finally get a definitive diagnosis and your kitty can stop coughing and start feeling better soon.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well if you can get the vet to give you script for albuterol you can use an empty toilet paper roll on his muzzle to get him to breathe the mist-know anyone with a nebulizer? The albuterol needs to be given if he is coughing that much. A cat can run out of breathe and cause issues. hows his color of membranes in his mouth/gums? I think you need a new vet ASAP!!! watch for blue gums/tongue. that's a medical emergency.
Hello, I know I'm jumping in a little late, but my 13 year old gal had coughing and sneezing issues that the vet never addressed and the outcome was fatal. I don't want to upset you either, but while cats are extremely resilient creatures they can also be vulnerable if not treated in a timely manner.

Take foxxycat foxxycat up on her offer, her advice proved to be invaluable to me last year with my Sweet Simon. Thanks again Foxxy...

I wish you all the best.

JMJimmy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your advice. Thank you. My new plan of action:

* Get the x-rays
* Take him + x-rays to another place which specializes in just cats

Hopefully they'll be able to figure it out. The bronchoscopy just sounds so invasive for his age.
Any update on this? I'd be curious to find out what they said (and see the x-rays)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onomoniapoea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should add that I had taken him to 5 appointments about his cough before meeting this vet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onomoniapoea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have an update on this! I took him to another vet. When I woke that morning, he was coughing violently. The new vet was able to squeeze him in immediately and had the old vet send his records over.

The new guy said that he has asthma, as suspected. He was shocked that no one else had given my cat an antibiotic to see if that'd take care of the immediate nasal problems. He also prescribed a new diet regimen and confirmed there is a heart issue.

But the crazy thing is, that within 2 days of starting the antibiotic, his cough disappeared entirely. He's been coughing every day, multiple times a day, for a year. I'm so angry and frustrated that he's suffered for so long. He's now breathing easy, eating a lot, and play fighting with his sibling. He hasn't been able to play for a year due to the coughing fits. I had taken him to 5 appointments about his cough before meeting this vet.

It's gone from fearing that he was on death's doorstep with the endless coughs and not moving to turning the clock back. Looking at him now, you'd think he was five years younger.