Cat wont leave bedroom

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have about eight cats and one of them basically spends all day in my room and rarely leaves my bedroom, unless she knows no one else is out in the house. She might come out at night, but she prefers to stay in my room...

I have another older cat that started attacking her whenever they get too close to each other, so i am thinking maybe she is afraid of being attacked by the other cat... Shes also one of those cats that only like one person and is afraid of everyone else. If I bring her out of my room and she hears other people she flips out and jumps away. She always ends up back in my room. Not sure how to get her to go out more...

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the same trick that works with people and dogs and what not works with cats too... manipulate conditions to make it rewarding so that the association with *insert desired behavior* is something positive.

First remove the danger. Perhaps put a bell on the aggressive cat so she always knows where (s)he is, add levels so they can share a room yet still avoid each other, etc. Then start pouring on the honey... food, treats, playtime, etc outside of the room.

For other people, greet them outside, instruct them to ignore the cat and not make eyecontact, but give them some treats. When kitty is approaching them, have them toss down a treat for her. Then work closer.

Then she'll start seeing new comers as walking food bags instead of a possible threat. Everyone that visits gets to toss two greenies each for my two.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the same situation in my house. I have 9 cats and the oldest girl she's 13 years old. She stays in my room all the time. I just let her stay there, she's very happy and content in there, she feels secure and comfortable, she can look out the window, I leave the bedroom door open so she can go out of the room if she wants, but she never does.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

I just let her stay there, she's very happy and content in there, she feels secure and comfortable, she can look out the window, I leave the bedroom door open so she can go out of the room if she wants, but she never does.
I would do the same thing.