cat wont leave bed after spay

saturnluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my luna (9 months old) got spayed on monday and i noticed today she's acting a little different than the previous days, im not sure if its because the meds wore off (only meds provided were the ones that the vet administered she didn't send me home with any additional meds to give luna) or if something is wrong. her behaviour on monday was restless she was extremely playful and didn't sleep until late that night around 12am. as expected the next day she was back to normal, she would have her regular nap times and her appetite was back to how it usually is, same goes for wednesday.
but today i was surprised when i woke up and she was still sleeping (7am) she usually is awake at this time and is ready for her breakfast, also her kibble that i leave overnight as a snack was barley touched (she usually finishes it all) i didnt think much of it until it became afternoon and she still was wanting to rest not moving from her bed. I checked her incision and everything is normal, she also isn't in any odd/out of the norm positions or anything that looks worrying - just spread out in her bed like normal. her attitude is normal too, she's purring and baking biscuits when i pet her and she was grooming herself from time to time (she has a recovery suit on so she is able to lick her arms and legs).

im just worried since i am a first time cat mom and not quite sure what to expect during a spay recovery, i know cats hide when their in pain so that also worries me. i just want to be as much help as i can to her during this time. please let me know if im just over thinking it or if i should call the vet! :) thanks in advance.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the incision looks fine she is probably fine, but the female spay procedure is a more significant surgery than the male neuter, so if the lethargic behavior continues tomorrow, what could a vet call hurt? I guarranty the vet tech's will be happy to help and not think your weird for calling. At worst, any medical provider tends to reflexively say "come in" sometimes, but you can ask questions and make your own decision.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give your vet a call when they open tomorrow. It won't hurt!
Is she in a quiet area, confined, where she can keep her activity level down? I know they always say "keep them quiet for 2 weeks" but keeping a 9 month old kitten down is next to impossible! :)
She might be sore. I've had a lot of girls spayed over the years and usually once the pain meds wear off, they act a little off. As ArtNJ said above, it's a much more invasive surgery than a neuter. They might be able to get you some pain medications for her to help her through. If they prescribe any pain medications, make sure you read or ask about any side effects, such as vomiting or diarrhea and if and when you should discontinue. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
DO give the vet a call, but I suspect she is just very sore. The vet won't mind your concern in the least...and, honestly, if they DO mind it, it's time to shop for a new vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saturnluna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is Miss Luna feeling today, OP?
thank you for checking in! how sweet of you :) miss luna lou is doing a little bit better, she is spending most of the day still sleeping but i am able to get her to atleast eat a meal or two. today we even played for a couple minutes!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty wasn't fully herself until almost 60 hours post spay. The anesthesia hit her hard. They even kept her overnight, she was so groggy (scaring me to DEATH!!!). It seems that Our Luna is headed in the right direction!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hekitty wasn't fully herself until almost 60 hours post spay. The anesthesia hit her hard. They even kept her overnight, she was so groggy (scaring me to DEATH!!!). It seems that Our Luna is headed in the right direction!
I need more coffee! I thought you said she wasn't herself for 60 DAYS :oops: 60 hours is bad enough!!
My puppy was spayed several months ago and luckily bounced back. I have several post-anesthesia blep pictures!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She looks SO cozy!!! And pretty in pink!! 😻