Cat won't eat

PattySue08021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neutered 15 year old male cat started to be sick last week. He was not eating or drinking. I took him to the vet who did blood work and x-rays. The x-rays show no blockages. The blood work shows very slight beginning of kidney disease. The vet gave him a saline (hydration) shot that absorbs within 48 hours, antibiotic, anti nausea meds. He is drinking more now but not eating. Any ideas of what is going on with him?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Too many possibilities to say for sure. Perhaps, he has arthritis, and it is aggravating him enough to affect his appetite. Is he lethargic or not moving around as much? Maybe he did something that irritated an arthritic joint he may have (jumped down wrong from an elevated surface, for example).

What is the antibiotic for? Many of them are hard on the stomach, so that isn't going to help your cause much. So, be sure that he eats something with the antibiotics. Also, was the anti-nausea med a one-time shot, or meds to be taken at home for a number of days? The shot only lasts for 12-24 hours, so not much help there either, unless they sent you home with a prescription as well

For now, all you can do is try any/all of the food ideas in the above article provided by Furballsmom Furballsmom . The other thing to consider is asking your vet for an appetite stimulant in addition to anti-nausea meds. The combination might work better to get him eating again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PattySue08021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to all who responded with advice. I am happy to say that my cat is now eating and drinking. The vet prescribed an appetite stimulant and he has started to eat. The vet does not know the cause of his dehydration so that was the reason for the antibiotic in case there was some type of infection. He seems to be on the road to recovery although I think he is not eating as much as he used to, I'm hoping that increases as the week goes on. Thank you all so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PattySue08021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you He is eating better and drinking more water. He is showing more interest in things and is walking around and even going outside to lay in the grass. He does have some mucous discharge, more than usual, coming out of his eyes. I read this could be a virus or infection. He is on antibiotics so I"m hoping that helps. I will call the vet tomorrow.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you He is eating better and drinking more water. He is showing more interest in things and is walking around and even going outside to lay in the grass. He does have some mucous discharge, more than usual, coming out of his eyes. I read this could be a virus or infection. He is on antibiotics so I"m hoping that helps. I will call the vet tomorrow.
Glad he is doing better, but a bit worried about this discharge he is having. Ask the vet about other treatment possibilities, especially if they think this could be viral. There are anti-viral meds that might help some. If he doesn't normally spend time in the grass, it could even be allergy related.