Cat Won't Eat Vitamin & Supplement Treats

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got my cat a range of multivitamin, L-Lysine, renal support, joint/hip support treats. First day she ate them all, but second day she would only eat the L-Lysine [smoke fish flavor] treats. Now she stopped eating any of the treats completely.

What options do I have [tried to hide it in a pill pocket, but that was too small and she picked up on it]? Anyone encounter similar problems?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should add all but the Lysine are by VetriScience and the L-Lysine is by Tomlyn.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure, i have never given them to my guys. Is she sick, or a specific reason you are giving the supplements?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Amalie had back problems, I bought one of each bag of supplement they carried. She touched none of them, and I knew going in that Petco had a great return policy, so I took them all back.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my cat a range of multivitamin, L-Lysine, renal support, joint/hip support treats. First day she ate them all, but second day she would only eat the L-Lysine [smoke fish flavor] treats. Now she stopped eating any of the treats completely.

What options do I have [tried to hide it in a pill pocket, but that was too small and she picked up on it]? Anyone encounter similar problems?
What are the reasons for the supplements? I do personally feel that supplementation for specific health problems can be helpful and beneficial!
Has she shown renal problems or joint problems, and if so, by what means? (Blood work, pee problems, mobility limitations, etc?)

Vetri Science is a good company IME. If she won't touch the supplements/support, they might take the supplements back if she doesn't agree with them.
It's no guarantee nor am I touting this as the "OMG MIRACLE CURE(!!!11111eleventy!!)" but our arthritic girlie (cat) has shown vast improvements with salmon oil preserved with vitamin E. If she's not liking the hip/joint treats, and has mobility and/or arthritis problems, she might do well that kind of fish/salmon oil, depending on her diet. If she's on a diet of dry food, salmon oil capsules (should!!) be easy to administer. If she likes wet food, it might be easier this way as sometimes dry food "addicts" like their food a certain way, and no other way will do! Been there! =D

FWIW, I have a cat on 2-3 times weekly predinsolone that refuses the "regular" drug and it needs to be compounded in a "flavor"...so far so good!! =)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I came up with a mix of supplement treats, purebites, and temptations treats, orijen original cat treats, Sheba meaty sticks...basically mixing what I want him to consume with what HE wants to consume. Often times it works :)

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no evidence L-Lysine does anything. I have no idea why vets love to prescribe it, but there is nothing that supports that it helps the immune system or dose anything for URI flares. Lactoferrin has some valid science behind it, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raul-7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you guys used a gel pill masker with any large success?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you guys used a gel pill masker with any large success?
I have not =( I'm sorry.
In the case of pilling or supplementing or both when reluctance to eat food is there, I have found luck in crushing pills/adding powered medicines/supplements into a pile (all powder, no chunks allowed!) and dissolving this mixture in water, or broth. I usually prefer broth for the flavoring, but in a pinch, water will suffice.
Let the powdered medicine dissolve completely in water/broth, then suck into a syringe (these are available, VERY cheap, at any farm store. If you can't locate them, ask the staff) and administer.
Very little broth or water is needed, if you add to much liquid you run the risk of diluting the medicine enough that it's still very much OK to give but it requires 3-4 syringes vs 1 syringe, or 1 1/2 if you're lucky. There's nothing "Wrong" with over-diluting but the stress on you, and the cat, is amplified the more medicine you have to give, so the less meds we give via syring, the better.
The thing to remember is administering any liquid medications is avoiding potential aspiration. This has never been a problem with us, but you want to administer slowly to be safe..a drop at a time vs. "shooting" the liquid. Even cats that hate medicines can usually be OK with this if you keep the in a smaller room (a bath or bedroom). The broth dilution vs. water in this way comes in handy as it masks the taste of the medicine somewhat. They never "love" being syringed, but if the medicine taste is masked, they seem to be better with it.
Release the with a "there, that wasn't so bad" attitude, talk to them cheerfully, pat them, stroke them, whatever, and/or let them rush off or hide or whatever they want. If we get upset, sometimes they get upset. As bad I as I feel about syring-medding a cat or dog, I have to remember that it's for their own good, and when I keep that in mind and convey that to them they seem OK with it.
If it's stressful, talk to your vet and maybe research on your own.
I agree that L-lysine has shown very little studies proving anything but we have nothing but success with it and for certain ailments, will continue to use it.
It all boils down to our own comfort zone, the needs of our cats and what we and our vets feel are best when it comes to pilling/syring-medding/vs. comfort.
Best to you, R Raul-7 :hellocomputer:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's no evidence L-Lysine does anything. I have no idea why vets love to prescribe it, but there is nothing that supports that it helps the immune system or dose anything for URI flares. Lactoferrin has some valid science behind it, though.
I have read no studies proving that L-lysine does a thing, but we had a girl with an eye so infected and ruptured and the only thing we did "outside" was L-lysine. The vets we worked with we ALL doubtful that girl would keep her eye, and she did!!!
I wish there were more studies done on this. I don't think it's a holy-grail miracle cure that some people feel it is, but for some problems we've had really good anecdotal success....
yeah, I know anecdotal success and stuff means nothing to most folks but for us, if it works, it works, and we continue to use it yet continue to read, learn, and work with our vets in case, some day, it does not work and we need to look at other options.
JMO. Nothing scientific here.