Cat won’t eat new food

Zylalove18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat has been eating meow mix grain free for awhile now. I mix her dry with wet food most days and she seems to enjoy all friskies wet food and most cheap dry food. Recently I started to notice she’s putting on weight and I’m concerned. She’s an indoor only and I play with her most days but after 20 minutes or sometimes less she’s done. Most of her days are spent window watching and sleeping. I bought her an indoor weight management food “pure balance chicken and chickpea” I read the ingredients and like that it looks better than meow mix. I followed the bags instructions and only put a tiny bit of her new in with her old. Well it’s definitely not going well..she refuses to eat it! She picked around it to eat her meow mix then walked away. It’s been a few hours and her dinner is at 10 pm. I don’t know how to make her eat it? I put some gravy from her wet around the pure balance and she still wouldn’t eat it. Sigh. If I don’t get her to eat this I wasted 7 dollars lol. Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Keep trying and give it a few days, and even if not then wait a couple weeks and try again.

Alternatively, you could eliminate the dry food for the most part. A lot of cats have lost weight slowly on a canned only "diet". In your case, you could give her dry food just every now and then :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree to simply feed her wet food only and IMHO she'll be better off. AND, if you can make that food the pate version only, all the better. Friskie's NON-pate foods are higher in carbs than cat's need, especially for weight loss, but their pate foods are more in line with what cats really need, which is meat protein. Many people think dry food is good for cleaning their teeth, or that cat's need something th snack on between meals, but that simply isn't true. I feed my cats three meals per day, all wet food, and they are fine with that. They do not wake me up in the morning to eat either. And they get a measured amount each meal because one could very easily gain weight if I let him. Counting calories is critical.

Here's a thread that might be helpful: Helping a cat to safely loose weight

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Less dry and better quality wet. Friskies is filled with carbs and fillers. If low cost is what you need fancy feast pate is better quality.