Cat Won't Drink Medicine

Slayyrr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat got some antibiotics yesterday at the vet because she got a flu or respiratory infection from new kitten. They gave her this liquid medicine called Clavamox and I'm suppose to give it to her from a syringe 2x a day for 14 days. I've given it to her 3 times already but she won't drink all of it like she needs to. She keeps spitting it out. When I give it to her she like chews on her tongue and some of it spills everywhere and the medicine foams at her mouth. I end up being covered in her medicine and so does my furniture. This little bottle of medicine was $130 so every single drop that spills makes me ache lol. But my 4 month old kitten took the same antibiotics a few days ago and she would drink it all and not spill anything, no problems when she would drink it (btw her antibiotics were free) I spent $130 on a 15 ml bottle just so my cat won't even drink it, she just wastes it. I tried rubbing her throat so she wouldn't spill it out, I tried wrapping her up in a towel but that doesn't help at all, I tried holding her head the right way like how they said to do so in a video but nothing has helped.
Any tips on how I can make my cat drink ALL of her medicine without having it spill out of her mouth?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I've given Raja medication, I've done it with a syringe the same way I did it to my children when they were little. I pulled her fur at the neck slightly to tip her head back and open her mouth and shot the medication to the back of the throat so that spitting it out wasn't an option. Try aiming a little further back than her mouth.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Clavamox is pretty bitter so I’m not surprised your cat is reacting that way to it. The only thing I can recommend is to get someone else to help you hold the cat still so you can get a better angle at the throat. My girl does this with every medicine we do but she takes it to another level and shakes her head and drools. She makes a massive mess. :sweat:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try tilting your cat's head up so the nose is pointing up and slowly squirt the medicine into the side of the mouth as far back as you can. Allow the cat to swallow before squirting in a little more. Don't try to squirt the entire dose in at once. Some cats hate that and will drool and spit.

You may want to give the medicine in the bathroom or kitchen where any mess is easily cleaned up. The bathroom is probably better as you can close the door and not have to chase a cat all over the house.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only advice I can give you, having experience with a stubborn medication taker, is when you open her mouth and look in the back, her tongue will "hump" right before going down to her throat. You need to try to aim the medication just past the hump so there is less chance of her tasting it (past the "bitter sensing" taste buds), but not so far back that she might aspirate it. Also, if the medication is past the hump, she may still drool and spit, but most of the medication will already be "past the point of no return" :)

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old cat got some antibiotics yesterday at the vet because she got a flu or respiratory infection from new kitten. They gave her this liquid medicine called Clavamox and I'm suppose to give it to her from a syringe 2x a day for 14 days. I've given it to her 3 times already but she won't drink all of it like she needs to. She keeps spitting it out. When I give it to her she like chews on her tongue and some of it spills everywhere and the medicine foams at her mouth. I end up being covered in her medicine and so does my furniture. This little bottle of medicine was $130 so every single drop that spills makes me ache lol. But my 4 month old kitten took the same antibiotics a few days ago and she would drink it all and not spill anything, no problems when she would drink it (btw her antibiotics were free) I spent $130 on a 15 ml bottle just so my cat won't even drink it, she just wastes it. I tried rubbing her throat so she wouldn't spill it out, I tried wrapping her up in a towel but that doesn't help at all, I tried holding her head the right way like how they said to do so in a video but nothing has helped.
Any tips on how I can make my cat drink ALL of her medicine without having it spill out of her mouth?
I think Clavamox os available in a pill form, call your Vet. and see. I had a similar problem with an antibiotic my Vet. gave me.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always used pills as well. Since you have liquid and are likely stuck with it, you could try hiding it in tuna before you try the other methods above. Use enough tuna to hide the flavor, at least 2 Tbs.

For next time and if you are in the US, get the phone app GoodRx and find the cheapest Clavamox in your area. $130 is ridiculously overpriced.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been there with the Clavamox. $130 is absolutely insane. My cat really hated that stuff, so I wrapped her in a towel like a burrito, tilted her head back, stuck the syringe in the side of her mouth and shot it back. It was after dental extractions and infected teeth, so I had to be really careful not to bump her stitches or anything. After I got the hang of it I really just "surprised" her with the medicine. If she was watching birds in the window I would grab her scruff really quick, squirt the meds in, and run out of the splash zone before the foaming started. It turned into a pretty good system.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I've given Raja medication, I've done it with a syringe the same way I did it to my children when they were little. I pulled her fur at the neck slightly to tip her head back and open her mouth and shot the medication to the back of the throat so that spitting it out wasn't an option. Try aiming a little further back than her mouth.
I totally pictured you doing this to a kid lol.

I do the same thing its not that easy but it has to be done. You can always ask for pills they go down a little easier if you ask me.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally pictured you doing this to a kid lol.
:lol: I teach prek where I'm the MAT person (qualified to give medication) so I have lots of experience giving medication to individuals who don't want it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So the foaming at the mouth is normal?
Cats will foam at the mouth if given something very bitter. If it's a liquid medicine given with a syringe it might help to give a syringe of water right after to wash the bitter taste away.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet showed me a trick taht really worked on a cat taht refused all meds. Hold them up by the skin on the back of the neck until their front feet come off the ground, it instantly quiets them, instinctively. Then squirt it in. I have good luck with the others by mixing the med up with a LITTLE tuna juice, little enough they finish it. It disguises the smell and taste. Mackerel juice is even stinkier.
Clavamox on Pet meds is 26.00. My vet gives it to me for around that price too, Amoxicillin is only ten. I hope your price includes the visit and exam, or I would be looking for another vet or have them OK orders from Pet Meds.

Last edited:

Lyndley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i went to a 24 hr vet because I got home from work around 11pm. Its the one my normal vet recommends on their website for emergencies. The whole visit was $133 including meds and visit. My kitty was limping and so i freaked out. Turns out she didnt break anything its just a pulled muscle or a sprained sholder. So no wrap no cast okay. Just rest and the vet gave me some Methocarbamol. My cat is super fiesty and does not like it when i scruff her let alone squirt stuff in her mouth. The water thing sounds like a good idea but i just have to get the courage to try that again.