Cat Won't Come Out From Under The Bed

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My sweet girl that I have had for 8 years has been "hammocking" under the bed for days and won't come out. She does not seem sick, as she will scarf down food if I put it near her. She also purrs when I reach under the bed to pet her. Should I wait it out a few more days?

There have been no changes in my home and I live alone with 2 other cats that I have also had for years.

For the record, she has had hyperesthesia since kittenhood but is not on medication as she has been doing fine. She was always a nervous, shy girl. I am worried. :confused2:

She did not lose weight yet (i weigh her weekly).

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats hear and smell well enough that she could be reacting to something outside I suppose, but all day? Or maybe its just her new spot, but if that was the case you would be able to lure her out with treats or toys. So I'd vote to take her to the vet as a precaution, subject to others having experiences with this issue; I have not had an adult cat do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had her annual 4 months ago and bloodwork came back normal, but yeah, I guess I need to take her in.

Am I wrong to feed her under the bed? Should I withold it in hopes she will come out? I just didn't want her getting dehyrated.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She had a good night last night - finally came out and jumped on the bed (with me). She stayed most of the night and ate a good breakfast. She did go back under the bed, but I feel much better. I think she just wants some quiet space away from the other 2 cats for awhile.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad she's acting more friendly. My current cat seems to go through phases where she wants more attention and reassurance and times where she just wants to do her own thing. But she's a teenager, so maybe that's more characteristic at that age.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad your girl is feeling better.

By "hammocking" I assume you mean up inside the torn lining on the bottom of the box spring. That's a favourite place for cats, though my Ruby hasn't figured it out yet. ;)

Cats go through periods when they want to hide or cocoon. Ruby has, in fact, spent most of the afternoon sleeping under the covers of my bed.

Do keep an eye on your girl, and don't hesitate to call your vet if you feel something is off.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes, I took her in yesterday. She came out and started darting frantically from room to room panting. I was going to take her to the ER, but anyways....she is okay for now.

The vet took new labs and said she was crazed due to flea infestation (she is an indoor cat, I did not even know she had fleas, but she did). Personally, I do not think that is the reason for her odd behavior and hiding for days, but we'll see.

She is on flea meds and I gave her 0.125 mg of lorazepam and she had a wonderful day and did not hide once.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That does seem odd for her to be an indoor cat, and flea infested, as I'm sure you would have noticed fleas if there were that many in your house. But if she's feeling better, that's the important thing. :catrub:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Labs came back, vet suspects hyperthyroidism. Running one more test to confirm. Liver enzymes elevated, vet says if she does have ht, that could cause that.

At least that is easy to treat with meds if that is the case. My poor baby...:frown: