Cat Won't Chew Food..

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

My 2 year old sweet boy has been puking out unchewed food every other day for the past few days. He is my only child so it's not like he is fighting for his food with another cat. He eats well all day and there is no chewing issue (I assume there is no chewing issue throughout the day as I have not come back home after work to puke waiting for me) but only at dinner time he seems to get into a "rush" and not chew his food then ogle it all out! I don't know what to do anymore! He is very lovely and playful, full of energy, he doesn't seem sick at all. He has had these "accidents" before but not as often like now! Any suggestion? Should I grind his food in a food processor? Am I crazy? Please help my little one :(

He is 11.4 lbs, neutered, vaccines up to date, on revolution heartworm meds, fully indoor and eats Dr. Elsey's clean protein. His water intake is normal. Normal poop and pee. What am I missing :(

P.S. He has NEVER had wet food that wasn't forced. He straight up refuses to eat wet food and would rather starve so that's not an option for us :(

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A trip to the vet is a good idea to rule out any medical issue that is causing the vomiting such as GI issues.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he is puking only at the dinner meal, once you are home - no other times, correct? How many times a day is he fed? It sounds to me like he is starving by the time he gets dinner, and is eating too fast. Do you leave food out for him during the day? If you don't but are worried that he will eat too much if you do, have you considered a timed-feeder?

The other thing to consider is that he is puking his food out during the day while you are gone and is going back to eat it later before you get home.

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A trip to the vet is a good idea to rule out any medical issue that is causing the vomiting such as GI issues.
I agree with the vet trip since the problem just started up recently. Be prepared to answer the vet's questions about how long it's been going on, what you're feeding him, how much (don't guess-measure!) he's eating, how often and what time mealtimes are or if you free-feed, and how long after eating until he vomits the undigested food. Your answers along with a physical exam by your vet will go a long way to finding the problem. Best of luck and post your results!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitcat2017

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks y'all for your quick response! So grateful for this place!

I feed him 1/3 cup of food per day. I serve it once day - in the morning before leaving for work. I leave him food all day, he has access to food all day. Seems like he eats throughout the day as half the food are gone by the time I get home. I have no idea why he rushes only at dinner! :( I'm going to call his vet tomorrow..

I read somewhere about serving food in ice tray so he has to stop and can't eat too much too fast or grind it on magic bullet or something? Is that a thing?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to start feeding my cats three times daily because one of mine is a "scarf & barfer." He was upchucking way too often. The smaller meal is easier on his stomach and it's easier to feed them all at the same time.

I can do this easily because I'm retired, but if you have schedule problems, perhaps you could investigate getting an automatic cat feeder.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get the vet visit. But, yes, if you think he is eating too fast, you can put a golf ball in his food dish, use a mini-muffin pan, or I suppose an ice cube tray - all to slow down his ability to eat too fast. But, since you say you are leaving him food while you are gone and when you come home there is still food there, something else is going on. I would also check to see if you can find spots in areas where he pukes after dinner, and see if there are signs he is doing the same thing throughout the day.

Anything else you can think of to add to what you have already told us would be helpful. Seems like some pieces of the puzzle are missing...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one that didn’t chew her food and would barf it up shortly after eating. She greatly improved after I switched her to a large size kibble that was too big for her to eat without chewing. I remember it was a Science Diet food, either Sensitive Stomach or Hairball control but I know there are other brands that make larger size kibble,