Cat wobbly...back leg...

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This morning while I was sleeping, Lucy jumped up on the bed and had a little bit of a hard time doing so (not unusual as the bed is up higher than average). I helped her up as I heard her claws trying to hoist herself up. I was on my side and she got on me. Again, this is very common. What wasn't common was how unsteady she seemed to be standing on me. She plopped herself with her head facing my feet and kind of had her back end rolled under her so her paws were facing out. What was also weird is usually when she wants on me, she wants lots of pats and purrs like crazy. Not this time. She put her head down and just laid there. I started to pet her but no purring kicked in and she didn't move. I touched her paw that was sticking out and she growled. The last time something close to this happened was in 1990 when my then cat had a a stroke and was diagnosed with early hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. That cat lived to be almost 19 in 2002. I had to help her off me so I could grab my phone. Lucy went up against the headboard and was kind of in a ball. I thought she was done. I called my husband and told him he had to come home. I laid back down and saw Lucy went to the opposite corner of the bed. I called her back to me and she hobbled back and resumed the position. My husband got home and grabbed the bag of treats. She perked right up and went over to him...that involved her getting down and walking to him. She is limping slightly on one side, but she ate her treats and went over and stole Sally's. By this time, she was purring, but I know purring isn't always a good sign. In Lucy's case, where there is food, there is a purr. That was a few hours ago. She is now stretched out sleeping on the bed. Her one leg is stretched out to the side. My husband just thinks she hurt it somehow either by jumping wrong or while running around. Lucy, literally, will race the full length of the house...it sounds like galloping horses.
If it were something other than a hurt leg, she wouldn't eat even treats, would she? Wouldn't she hide? That's what Ashley did when she got sick (cancer). My vet can't get her in today and because MSU (Michigan State) ER Vet Clinic is a massive bill that would seriously hit hard, I am looking for insight before I opt for that.
Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is Lucy? If she is older - even no more than 7-8, this could be an indicator of some arthritis, and she just aggravated it somehow with the jump. I would just watch her throughout the day and see how she acts. Even if she is younger it doesn't mean she still couldn't have done something during the jump to irritate her leg.

Most cats, unless really, really injured and in great pain will likely eat, especially treats! Feeby (15+ yo) has some arthritis, but that doesn't stop her from eating one bit! I have a chest at the end of our bed, which has given Feeby an extra step to use, decreasing the height she has to jump into two steps in order to get on the bed. And, not too long ago, I added a sturdy box to that set up so now she has 3 steps - she jumps onto the box, then onto the chest, and finally on to the bed. You might want set up an extra step to the bed for now, just in case she did injure her leg a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy is about 15. One time maybe 6 years ago, my husband was carrying her in from outside (we stay with her when she goes out to eat her grass) and she managed to wriggle out of his arms. She must landed wrong because she had a big limp. I didn't panic over that because I knew what happened and she made-do.
Thanks for your help!

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If she was limping from a fall 6 years ago, there may have been a slight break that is now giving her issues in her advanced age (assuming it's the same leg).
Or she may have jumped and landed awkwardly again, and there may be an injury that you can't see.
Did she ever have xrays on the leg? maybe now would be the right time for them.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she was limping from a fall 6 years ago, there may have been a slight break that is now giving her issues in her advanced age (assuming it's the same leg).
Or she may have jumped and landed awkwardly again, and there may be an injury that you can't see.
Did she ever have xrays on the leg? maybe now would be the right time for them.
She never acted like she was in terrible pain and the next day she was fine so I didn't do anything. A bit ago, I went home from being out and she wasn't limping or anything so I'm guessing it wasn't that serious. Either way, she's due for a physical so I'll mention it when I take her. It's so hard when these things happen to pets:(

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are notorious for hiding pain. It's keyed into their natural instincts. Being both a predator and prey, showing any kind of weakness is "dangerous". So when they do show pain, it's generally not something to ignore, even if they "recover" (because that could just be hiding it again).

Personally I'd do xrays to be on the safe side. Even if the vet says it's arthritis, it would be worth it to get her the relief she needs. :catrub:

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats are notorious for hiding pain. It's keyed into their natural instincts. Being both a predator and prey, showing any kind of weakness is "dangerous". So when they do show pain, it's generally not something to ignore, even if they "recover" (because that could just be hiding it again).

Personally I'd do xrays to be on the safe side. Even if the vet says it's arthritis, it would be worth it to get her the relief she needs. :catrub:
Yes...when she goes in for her physical, I plan on mentioning it. ❤