Cat with worms - put my mind at peace?

oxthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

This community has been so wonderful as I've navigated having a cat for the past two years!

Asking for your help again: Yesterday I noticed my cat Ox had loose stools which continued on today. I checked the litter box shortly after he went today and noticed small, white, mobile worms in his stool. :barfgreen:

I called the vet but they're closed for the holiday. He's eating OK, doesn't seem lethargic, but is clearly uncomfortable (dragging his bum, etc).

Could anyone give me advice as I sit tight and wait for the vet to re-open? This isn't an emergency, I'm assuming, but I'm still worried.

Thank you all so much in advance!

- A

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming that your cat is otherwise healthy, this problem can keep until the vet reopens.

You should still get him de-wormed as soon as you can.

You should also make sure you keep his litter box as clean as possible.
Any places where he has dragged his butt or had an accident should be cleaned, too.
Wear rubber gloves while you work and wash hands well, afterward.

Tapeworms are transmissible to other animals and some kinds of them are transmissible to humans.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oxthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Assuming that your cat is otherwise healthy, this problem can keep until the vet reopens.

You should still get him de-wormed as soon as you can.

You should also make sure you keep his litter box as clean as possible.
Any places where he has dragged his butt or had an accident should be cleaned, too.
Wear rubber gloves while you work and wash hands well, afterward.

Tapeworms are transmissible to other animals and some kinds of them are transmissible to humans.
Thank you! His litter box is kept very clean and we totally switched out the litter and liner after discovering. I'm still trying to determine how he got them: he did catch a mouse about a month ago (didn't kill it) -- but he's an indoor, 4th floor walk-up, NYC kitty, no other pets in the house.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi oxthecat oxthecat

What a handsome boy! You can buy worming medicine online and it's sometimes a little cheaper than the same product that the vet will give you.

I use Profender® Topical Solution | For Veterinary Professionals on my cats. Make sure you select the correct size pipette for a cat of your boys weight. They make them for cats 2 to 5 kilos and 5 to 8 kilos. You have to apply the liquid to his skin at the back of his neck, where he can't lick it.

The medicine comes with instructions of how often you need to re-dose the cat, but usually one dose a month is fine for my cats, who have outdoor enclosure access.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is quite possible that he got worms from catching a mouse. That is a common means of transmission.

The time period you mention for worms to hatch and grow seems to match up, as well.

Yes, you can use OTC de-worming products. They work as well as what you get from the vet if you follow instructions to the letter.

Consider the period of time it takes to order on line vs. waiting for the vet. It might take the same amount of time.

If you haven’t taken him to the vet in a while, it might be just as well to get him in for a checkup at this point.

In the mean time, whatever your course of action, you should be careful of hand-to-mouth contact after touching your cat. Also, keep food preparation areas extra clean, especially if your cat is a ”counter surfer.”

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oxthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all - just wanted to update. Brought Ox to the vet this morning. He got a dose of Profender in office, and Revolution (to be used in a couple of weeks) and some fortiflora to right his GI.

Oddly, he seemed totally fine yesterday (though never used his litterbox), so feel grateful to have caught the worms when we did bc otherwise I would have likely just brushed it off as an upset stomach.

Thanks to everyone here for taking the edge off. I always feel so awful when I know he's not feeling well and there's little I can do.