Cat with URI isn't eating

Xexa24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help ...I can't afford a Vet an My cats are sick with a nasty respiratory infection .. 1 cat has already died after 5 days of being sick .. now my other 3 cats are sick .. I was able to order 500mg of Amoxicillin online that I crush in water & force into my cats but it don't seem to be working much , I give it once a day cuz every article I read gives different dose recommendations , I also give water a few times to a day by a eyedropper ...I just ordered an appetite stimulant online cuz 1 cat hasn't really eaten in 6 days , I only got Abt a half a can of wet canned cat food into him but I gotta force it & he only takes 1 - 4 little bites .. I've had cats my whole life & I've NEVER had an outbreak like this & I live in a small trailer so I can't really isolate them & I'm disinfectant as many areas as I can .. I just don't know what else to do , like I said I can't afford a Vet , does anyone have any recommendations ??????

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cats have uri and cannot be separated try to find someone who will take them though it will be hard. Can you bring one cat to the vet and get help on how to care for them?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will, while you get other things into place, need to force-feed these cats. If they cannot smell, they will not eat. Use a pate style food, one with no chunks or shreds. Mix with water until it forms a loose slurry. Draw this up an a larger syringe (a medicine dropper, if that's easier for you to find), slip the tip between the cats' cheeks and upper jaws, and slowly insert a small amount, allowing them to swallow between bites. Feed them about 1/3-1/4 of what they usually eat, and do it every 2-4 hours, depending on how much they will eat at one sitting.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
YOu can also try feeding the stinkiest wet cat food you can find (fish flavored Friskies might do the trick) and warm it up so it really stinks. As mentioned above, if they can't smell it due to congestion, they won't eat it. Maybe, just maybe, by warming a stinky food they will be able to smell it and therefore eat it. If not, you definitely need to force feed them as addressed above. Hydrate them too.

Additionally, you can try putting them in a bathroom full of steam from a hot shower to see if that helps break up the congestion. Otherwise, I agree that perhaps taking just one of them to a Vet might help. Certainly would cut down on the expenses. Just tell them how many cats have the same issue and maybe they will prescribe additional meds for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xexa24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will, while you get other things into place, need to force-feed these cats. If they cannot smell, they will not eat. Use a pate style food, one with no chunks or shreds. Mix with water until it forms a loose slurry. Draw this up an a larger syringe (a medicine dropper, if that's easier for you to find), slip the tip between the cats' cheeks and upper jaws, and slowly insert a small amount, allowing them to swallow between bites. Feed them about 1/3-1/4 of what they usually eat, and do it every 2-4 hours, depending on how much they will eat at one sitting.
I'm doing that now but they only eat 1 or 2 bites then spit it out or throw it up , they take the water ..had a 2nd cat die today & I got 2 more that are sick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xexa24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your cats have uri and cannot be separated try to find someone who will take them though it will be hard. Can you bring one cat to the vet and get help on how to care for them?
Ive tried , no one wants sick cats & shelters will out them to sleep