Cat With Unknown Skin Issue???

Ericahayley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Mischief, has these painful looking open sores on his back, near the base of his tail. I’ve taken him to the vet for them before and was told it’s skin allergies, all they can do is give him a shot. But I’m just wanting to know if anyone has dealt with something like this and if anyone has ideas on how I can prevent it altogether? I’ve tried changing his food, changing our laundry detergent, etc. He’s strictly an inside cat. I just want to prevent the pain I know he’s in :(

Attachments

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One or two of my cats have pulled their hair out when something (fleas, mites... whatever) is irritating that area. In doing so, it leaves sores that (to me) look like those in your pics.

When this happens, I use a flea comb and comb them good -- esp. in areas where they are pulling out fur. (I comb very gently over those sores.) I make sure places where the cats perch get vacuumed or washed. It, generally, just takes a few days of this before the cats have stopped biting themselves, and tearing their fur out.

Sometimes, I make a Comfrey Root & Leaf tea and pat it (warm) on those sore areas [under the fur, on the skin]. Comfrey helps skin heal. Smells crappy, but works wonders.

Regardless of the cause, it does look (to me) like your cat is tearing out its fur.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Skin allergies can be treated with more than just a shot of steroids or something. Try looking for a veterinary dermatologist in your area.

Skin Conditions In Cats

Some things you can try are to change the food to a LID type, change the litter to a non-dusty unscented type, minimize air fresheners and the like in your home. I know you have done food before but give it a try again and stick with the food for at least 13 weeks to see if that helps. It'll take at least that long to see if the skin issue is caused by something in the food.

Is your cat actively picking at that area? If he is, you'll need to put an e-collar on your cat to keep him from picking and making the area worse.