Cat with thyroid issues very sick

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I came here years ago when my family's cat, Molly, had started thyroid medicine and was sick. Now, she is very sick again, and not acting like herself.

A few months ago she was acting strange, and the vet upped her thyroid medicine. She seemed to be doing much better!!

But lately she has been throwing up often (despite having an anti emetic), having diarrhea, isolating in strange places, and I believe she is losing weight again. Our other cat, Sturdy, has been acting off as well...no throwing up or diarrhea, but very subdued, and also sleeping in unusual places. I don't know if he senses Molly's illness or if they are both sick.

I'm out of my mind with worry. This has come on just after I paid off a huge debt, and since I'm disabled, I'm working with a hard limit of money. I'm praying that I'm overreacting, and that there is a simple solution, but I can't help but fear the worst.

Molly is a domestic long haired cat that we took in from a barn litter, and is about 14 - 15. She takes felimazole 2.5 mg twice a day, along with her anti emetic. Any insights or suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry to hear the problems Molly is having. Has Molly been checked for kidney issues? Many cats who are treated for hyperthyroidism end up with the treatment unmasking kidney issues. Her symptoms could be described as such.

I would have bloodwork, including T4, and an urinalysis done - maybe your vet would allow you to work out a payment plan with them? It is either a kidney issue, or her thyroid meds need to be increased again - the tumor on the thyroid that causes this doesn't stop growing with the meds, so increases in the med treatment are inevitable. But, I would first want to check out her kidney values, which can also be treated.

I suspect Sturdy is 'off' because of Molly not feeling well. It is so amazing how some cats can react to these things!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both!!

Right now, she can't seem to keep down water, and when I gave her her pill this morning and tonight I noticed that the back of her tongue looks gray...I googled that and found articles saying it can be indicative of a heart problem. I'm really, really scared for her right now...I just experienced a major loss last August, and I don't think my heart could take losing her so soon after that loss...

I'm calling the vet first thing in the morning and praying that they'll be able to squeeze her in.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I came here years ago when my family's cat, Molly, had started thyroid medicine and was sick. Now, she is very sick again, and not acting like herself.

A few months ago she was acting strange, and the vet upped her thyroid medicine. She seemed to be doing much better!!

But lately she has been throwing up often (despite having an anti emetic), having diarrhea, isolating in strange places, and I believe she is losing weight again. Our other cat, Sturdy, has been acting off as well...no throwing up or diarrhea, but very subdued, and also sleeping in unusual places. I don't know if he senses Molly's illness or if they are both sick.

I'm out of my mind with worry. This has come on just after I paid off a huge debt, and since I'm disabled, I'm working with a hard limit of money. I'm praying that I'm overreacting, and that there is a simple solution, but I can't help but fear the worst.

Molly is a domestic long haired cat that we took in from a barn litter, and is about 14 - 15. She takes felimazole 2.5 mg twice a day, along with her anti emetic. Any insights or suggestions are welcome!!

Thank you!!
Usually when a cat hides they are not feeling well
Cats hide paid well..sadly

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called 9 different vets in the area and no one will see Molly. Our vet is on vacation...I have an appointment for Monday, but I don't know if she'll make it that long. Any advice to get her through the weekend? Also, here is a picture of my baby when she wasn't feeling sick:

20180510_172527-2.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No emergency vets available at all???? Your vet doesn't have a back-up for when they are on vacation? Any family, friends, co-workers, neighbors who have cats that could perhaps reach out to their vets? Maybe try Next Door Neighbor web site and ask for a vet contact? It is likely that Molly could get by with an IV for fluids and perhaps an anti-nausea med.

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No emergency vets available at all???? Your vet doesn't have a back-up for when they are on vacation? Any family, friends, co-workers, neighbors who have cats that could perhaps reach out to their vets? Maybe try Next Door Neighbor web site and ask for a vet contact? It is likely that Molly could get by with an IV for fluids and perhaps an anti-nausea med.
The closest emergency vet is two hours away -- I live in a small, rural community. The only one who drives in my family is my grandma, who is in her 70s and undergoing radiation for severe cancer, so she is physically unable to drive that long. The backup vet couldn't see her, the only other family I have here doesn't drive, my good friend works 90+ hour weeks, and I'm disabled so I have no coworkers...it's like the perfect storm all came together.

I'll keep that website in mind!! My community is very small, though, like I said...

Anyways, Molly made it through the weekend, and she will see a vet today. I'll keep everyone posted!! Thank you!! 💕

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Molly made it through the weekend, and she will see a vet today. I'll keep everyone posted!! Thank you!! 💕
I'm just catching up with your thread and crossing my fingers the vet will be able to help Molly. :crossfingers: Just in case a future problem should arise can you ask the vet for a number to call after hours or on the weekend?

snowbird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!! Thank you all so much for keeping Molly and Sturdy in your thoughts.

So, the vet we took her to examined her and did bloodwork, which came back mostly good. The only thing that was off was one liver function, and that was only a little and apparently wouldn't have caused her symptoms. She lost half her bodyweight in seven days, though, which breaks my heart...

We have a new anti nausea medicine to try (cerrenea), and the vet gave her an injection of that to kickstart it. We also have prednisone for gastric inflammation, and an antibiotic (generic flagyll) to cover the bases.

If the medicine doesn't help, the next step would be to see a veterinary radiologist for an ultrasound to check for a bowel blockage, which is unlikely but not unheard of. And then, there is the possibility of cancer...

However!! She hasn't thrown up once since the injection!! Molly has had diarrhea a couple times, but that seems to be slowing down, and she isn't isolating as much -- last night she slept near my mom instead of sleeping alone downstairs.

Sturdy seems a little less tense as well, which is a huge relief. I do think he was acting weird because of Molly's illness.

I'm praying that the new medicines continue to clear things up and keep them that way, and that she'll get back to a healthy weight.

I'll continue to try and update once a day or so. Thank you all so much for your support, thoughts, and prayers -- I can't tell you how much it all means to me, as I'm still so scared for her. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll pray for your sweet girl, and pray she feels better soon. Try to give her pill hidden in some cheese, I gave pills for years 'cemented' to a tiny piece of bacon by an even tinier piece of cat pill pocket. Or see if you can crush them or get them in liquid and mix them in a little bit of Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. I give all my medicines in those now, and even keep some around for when my cats quit eating, sometimes it is the only thing that keeps them going. I get them online at walmart and target, amazon has them at times too, as do the dollar stores.