Cat with Stuffy Nose Won't Eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been lying on the floor beside Ruckus this morning...I barely got any sleep in last night but instead cried for hours.

It's so painful to see him suffer...I won't go into the details but the signs are there. I went back and forth and back and forth about what to do, and his comfort is priority #1 over my desire to hold on to him...

My vet, who's been walking with me throughout this process, has been so kind to call me last night and this morning to check on Ruckus' conditions and development. And this morning, the vet also thinks it's time to let him go...

After the call with the vet, I lay next to Ruckus and broke down. He must have sensed something because he pushed his head into my hand and my chest, and for the first time in two months, he purred.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, has your vet ever talked to you about famciclovir? Really kicked the herpes out of my cat. It’s an antiviral pill. Saved his eye and possibly his life. Not cheap, but still less expensive than a vet visit if you prefer vet around or have GoodRx.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is there any reason why not to give him the pain meds NOW? Even if he still has the URI? I know pancreatitis can be very painful, that's why I ask. If you can treat the pancreatitis, and suspected arthritis, he could become his old self again. So, does your Vet think they can treat this or not, that is the real question. Some cases of pancreatitis are so bad they cannot be treated, but usually treatment is tried first and fail, that's how they know. I think you need to have a very serious heart to heart discussion with your Vet and ask them what would they do if he were their cat? Ask questions as if he were your child before making any decisions. What will it take to "fix" the issue, or if it's chronic, what can you do to help keep it at bay, will he always be in some pain, etc?

Did they start any kind of treatment? Usually fluids are given, and anti-inflammatories (probably a steroid). Of course, pain killers, and sometimes even antibiotics if an infection is suspected. (Doxy is NOT the antibiotic of choice for pancreatitis).

As to his vomiting right after you tube fed him, you have to go very slowly when you tube feed. And it helps if you warm the food. How much are you giving in one sitting? Too much food in will also make it come right back out.

duck13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the most important jobs a pet parent has is recognizing when it is time to let a beloved furchild go. It is hard, it is painful, but doing what is best for kitty is frequently not at all what we want for ourselves. Only you are in position to know whether your cat wants to keep fighting or is tired & wants to let go. I am so sorry both of you are going through this but your posts clearly show you are trying to do right by your kitty & put what is best for him first.