Cat with Stomatitis will not eat or drink...HELP

meow2351

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here's a bit of background information:

When I adopted Rochi almost a year ago, I was never told that he had any problems. When I adopted him he was so skinny, like I could feel his bones. I tried fattening him up on wet food to which he loved, but a few weeks later he stopped eating as much as he should have. Turned out he had Stomatitis, which I've come to learn is an incredibly painful disease. He was on antibiotics, and was taken to a separate clinic to which they talked me into getting his teeth cleaned. I know the best treatment is extracting the teeth, but being 1) a 21 year old college student and 2) a first time cat owner, I felt that the "vet is always right" so I went along with that. After his procedure, it was almost like he was a brand new cat. He ate and ate like no tomorrow, played a ton, and was overall great. 

Let's fast forward to 4 days ago (Wednesday, 3/1/17): 

Rochi started picking at his food again. He still ate everything, but it took him longer to eat. I feel so stupid for not realizing this sign, but he was still eating all of his food so I thought it was ok. Thursday comes, and he isn't eating at all. Bad sign. Every time he would hit a sensitive spot, he would freak out, hiss at himself, etc.  I take him into the vet only to have the doc tell me that he needs his teeth extracted. Finally. They pumped up Rochi with some fluids, gave me some buprenorphine for the pain,  and told me of different ways I can get him to eat. I asked about him getting the fatty liver disease if he continues not to eat. The vet wasn't too concerned since he's only 8lbs (he's a smaller cat), but was concerned about him losing anymore weight.  They don't offer dental services at his usual vet so now I'm put up to the task of finding him a place to go.

I called the 24 hr animal hospital/ER near me because I figured thats the one place that will do it sooner than later. They had no idea what I was talking about at first (and were kind of rude) which was incredibly frustrating as this was something I was also very confused about and needed some clarity on in terms of how the process of getting him in works, how much it will cost, etc. After waiting on hold for about 5mins, they said that their dentist only comes in on Wednesdays. That seemed like BS to me, especially for an ER. I explained my case and she actually said "I don't really know anything about this sorry." I explained my frustrations with them, and they didn't seem to care, so I just left it at that. Frustrated, I called a clinic that my mom takes her cat to. They won't take him until Wednesday at the earliest for an initial appointment to confirm that this is what he needs, take xrays, etc. because he is a new patient. I explain that he hasn't been eating and that I'm worried that he is going to stop all together and won't make it until Wednesday, can't they squeeze me in a different time? Nope. So I call another place that can't take him until Thursday. Again after explaining my circumstances, they tell me "well if it gets that bad, take him to the ER". At this point I'm just incredibly frustrated. So I call the other clinic back and have an appointment for him on Wednesday. Friday, I call his usual vet, asking if he is going to be able to last that long, or if another action needed to be taken because Rochi is STILL not eating and I'm starting to get nervous. The vet tells me to open a can of tuna, or try giving him something he really really likes. Later Friday night, I slip a half can of some tuna, and a chopped up slice of chicken to him. He hesitates at first, but then goes to eat pretty much the entire thing. I am relieved.....until he flips out again due to the pain. 

This whole thing has a point I promise. 

Today is Saturday, and he won't eat anything I give to him, no matter how appetizing it looks and smells. I'm worried he's going to go on like this and won't make it until Wednesday. The buprenorphine has done a good job at controlling his pain, but he still won't try to eat or drink anything. He also spends a lot of his time in his litterbox. I can't tell if he's hiding or trying to use it. I know cats can get loopy off of that medication and when I peeked in his litterbox last night he was slowly gliding his paw against the litter and just staring at me with his huge eyes (it was kind of creepy lol). This is something he's never done before. He's obviously using his litterbox at some point during the day because when I clean it, its been used, but I think he's also using it as a hiding spot. He's also been hiding in very warm places, which worries me as well. I was told by my vet to bring him in again on Monday for some fluids so he doesn't get dehydrated. 

Is there anything else that I can possibly do at this point? Perhaps I became frustrated with calling clinics to quickly and wasn't firm enough. If I take him to the ER, what will most likely happen? As I said, I am only a first time pet owner. I'd do anything for Rochi as he has helped me through so many tough times. Any feedback is welcome, but please don't be rude, it only wastes my time and yours. 

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of off the to of my head is a feeding tube right into the esophagus bypassing the mouth. It's a short 10 minute surgery, they cut a hole in the neck and esophagus, and put a tube and neck bandage on so you can feed him manually. Is that really necessary at this point though, probably not. I'd try syringe feeding him (blend his wet food up with some mature cat milk) and get some high calorie nutra paste first since his dentals only a few days away.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's really not eating anything even with the buprenorphine, ask the vet for some steroids (either oral prednisolone or injected depomedrol). It's better to try to manage it without using steroids if possible but you have to get him eating, and steroids will usually knock down the inflammation and increase appetite. But that's a temporary thing, just gives you some time to find a better solution.

It may be cheaper in the long run to go ahead with the tooth extraction (call around to a lot of vets for price comparisons, and make sure they'll do x-rays and make sure all the roots are removed). Some stomatitis cats have shown improvement with cold laser therapy, too, although I haven't tried that myself. I've been researching treatments lately because one of my cats has it. . .:sigh:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meow2351

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I will try syringe feeding him. He's pretty patient when I have to give him his medicine so hopefully it will work out ok. Thank you!! :) 

meow2351

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback! I had asked my vet about steroids and he didn't reccommend it only because his appointment is a few days away and could conflict with medications that they may want to give him before or after his procedure. I am hoping that they will just remove his teeth instead of trying to talk me into just cleaning them like a separate clinic did last time...because obviously that isn't going to hold him over long term. Thanks! :) 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone at an emergency vet who doesn't know what stomatitis is, well they're a moron.  I'm sorry but even the receptionist should have a basic understanding even if it's just from work experience.  Please keep us updated.  I think your cat is VERY lucky to have you.

meow2351

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE ON ROCHI: 

So I took him to a wonderful clinic that was able to get him in for a dental right away. 15 teeth were pulled yesterday (4 hour procedure omg). He is home now, but very very tired. He can't even keep his eyes open. Rochi feels a lot lighter than he did a week ago, but  I don't think forcing him to eat is a good idea at least for tonight. I want to just let him sleep. I left some food out for him in case he gets up in the middle of the night to test it out, but otherwise I'll leave him alone. Tomorrow we start over! He will be taking buprenorphine and clindamycin for medications. I'll try to syringe feed him in the morning. I also bought some nutrical to put into his food to help get his appetite back. The oral surgeon said that after recovery, he will feel so much better.  I'm working super duper hard to get him back to the lovey dovey kitty he was! 

meow2351

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Day 4 of Recovery for Rochi: He has a lot more energy today and is slowly starting to eat on his own again. Sometimes I have to give him a little push, but he will eat tiny bites every once and a while. I've also learned he loves to drink out of the sink faucet. I have never seen this cat drink water before and I've had him for almost a year now. Guess I know why lol. Overall, his recovery is going pretty well. He takes his meds like a champ. Next step is getting his weight back up!!