Cat With Possible Health Issues And I Can't Help Him?

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm a young person in high school and my brother adopted a cat last year. Life with the cat was great but suddenly, we're having a large flea issue. We're removing the carpets and cleaning the house and putting anti-flea shampoo and anti-flea dry shampoo/spray on him and our other cat but now there's a bigger issue.
Our white cat is dealing well with it all and he's grooming normally but our black one (the one we got last year) is miserable. He's become overweight and keeps overgrooming and is balding in a lot of places despite the house being much cleaner and now his fur is very messy and disheveled. His tails is constantly between his legs and we're in the process of removing all the carpets (where fleas hide) too.
He doesn't like moving from the kitchen now either and stays in one place and if anyone picks him up, he gets uncomfortable quickly (We used to be able to hold him for a long white and he was fine) and keeps his tail tucked between his legs each time we put him down. Plus, he only moves from his spot to eat and use the litterbox. I've told my brother, who is his owner and has our black cat signed in his name at the vet, that we should take him to the vet but he often refuses and claims it's not a big deal when it really is. Our cat often hurts himself from scratching too hard too. I can't get him to the vet myself since I'm only 16 and can't drive (I do have money however from saving) but my brother keeps mocking me each time I suggest we get him help since the carpets are being removed at an incredibly slow pace.
I plan on trying to convince our father to help our cat but is there any way I can help him just a little bit? Does anyone think he might be experiencing another problem?
20190711_153258.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes, I think there is some other problem other than possible flea infestation. It doesn't appear from the pictures that he's grooming himself, and that is a clear sign that something is wrong with the poor little guy. We can't say what, certainly, because we aren't Vets here, but please try hard to convince your Dad to take him in. ANY change in bahavior is a sign that there is something wrong, and what you've described seems like a very clear sign to me.

thank you for caring enough to ask for help :hugs:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does need to see the vet, poor little guy. He may be reacting badly to all of the changes in the house, though.

If he's sensitive, and he seems to be, then that could do this to him. To make him more comfortable until you can convince someone to get him to the vet, try this. Buy a box of chamomile tea bags at the grocery store. You'll find them in the coffee/tea aisle, and they only cost about $5. You want the box that says JUST "Chamomile," not a blend. Also, go to the "Infants" section and pick up a medicine dropper. They are only a few dollars, as well. Brew a cup of the tea, and chill it in the fridge. We'll now attack the problem on two fronts...divide the cup into two containers. Using one, dip a soft cloth or cotton ball into the chilled tea, and gently dab it onto the raw/bald spots. This will soothe any itching he has. Second, draw up 3 teaspoonfulls of the tea into the medicine dropper, and slowly inject it into the cat's mouth a little at a time, allowing him time to swallow each time. Do this three times a day. Chamomile is gently calming without being sedating, and may help him cope with all of the changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, I think there is some other problem other than possible flea infestation. It doesn't appear from the pictures that he's grooming himself, and that is a clear sign that something is wrong with the poor little guy. We can't say what, certainly, because we aren't Vets here, but please try hard to convince your Dad to take him in. ANY change in bahavior is a sign that there is something wrong, and what you've described seems like a very clear sign to me.

thank you for caring enough to ask for help :hugs:
i know it's been such a long time since this thread, but I wanted to update you and others that he is much better now and is much happier thanks to all the tips! Thank you for all the care<3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does need to see the vet, poor little guy. He may be reacting badly to all of the changes in the house, though.

If he's sensitive, and he seems to be, then that could do this to him. To make him more comfortable until you can convince someone to get him to the vet, try this. Buy a box of chamomile tea bags at the grocery store. You'll find them in the coffee/tea aisle, and they only cost about $5. You want the box that says JUST "Chamomile," not a blend. Also, go to the "Infants" section and pick up a medicine dropper. They are only a few dollars, as well. Brew a cup of the tea, and chill it in the fridge. We'll now attack the problem on two fronts...divide the cup into two containers. Using one, dip a soft cloth or cotton ball into the chilled tea, and gently dab it onto the raw/bald spots. This will soothe any itching he has. Second, draw up 3 teaspoonfulls of the tea into the medicine dropper, and slowly inject it into the cat's mouth a little at a time, allowing him time to swallow each time. Do this three times a day. Chamomile is gently calming without being sedating, and may help him cope with all of the changes.
i know it's been such a long time since this thread, but I wanted to update you and others that he is much better now and is much happier thanks to all the tips! I'll keep all this info in mind too, thank you so much! Thank you for all the care<3