Cat with possible broken leg

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have been caring for feral cats for five years now and several live in my yard. I already have 4 in the house one of which had a broken leg back in 2014. I nursed him for 4 months in a crate/room. He is a wonderful house cat now. Well, there's another one that's been here for about 2 years. My question is what should I do? I can't take in another one. He has shelter in my yard and gets fed twice a day. Will he just rest and heal on it's own? I know it's vulnerable, but that would make sense if it had to leave for shelter/food. I have another one in my house now in a crate that has a lump on it's neck. I took him to the vet because he's been mine for 5 years now and I just couldn't at least see if there is an easy fix before I decide to put him down. They lanced it and it did not leak fluid, but blood instead. They gave him a two-week dose of antibiotics to see if has any effect. I can't afford to test for cancer and/or even treat him afterwards. One trapping and that's it, so we decide in a few days. He's been losing weight and has some stressful breathing (not when resting though). So I'm so distraught about that and now I see another favoring it's leg. I had another one two years ago who limped as well and then it was better within two weeks. He is still well.

This is just too much stress and an expense I wasn't expecting. I just can't do this any longer. I cried for three days knowing that this six year old may have to be put down.

Do you think I can leave the one with the limp or should I put him down?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L luvcats222 I think you have so much going on that you have focused on the worst case scenario. Is it not possible that the cat just has a sprain from jumping and landing wrong? If you can isolate the cat in a large cage, keep it quiet while you provide food and security for a couple of weeks, and give the ?limping a chance to recover. Good for you, good for the cat. Ask the vet (with whom you seem to have a very good connection) if he can provide some pain relief for the cat.

Here's hoping the new year starts off on a positive note.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally know how bad it can be for us when we are trying to care for so many and it seems that the care starts to become overwhelming. I have fought against many problems with a feral colony as well. I am so sorry that you are having to be pulled in so many directions at once. The stress can make everything seem worse. Try to take a break for just a minute here. Having the kitty with the lump must be really worrisome. Let the medicine have a chance to work. It could still be an infection. Perhaps just removing the lump would be possible as well. The kitty with the hurt leg may simply have been hurt. Give it time. If you can find a way to isolate him to let him rest the leg and give pain meds, he may heal even quicker. I thought one of mine broke her leg but I put her in a bathroom and gave her pain meds and she healed extremely fast and completely. Have you looked into any financial help for the kitties? Can you google “Financial help for veterinary care?” You may be able to get some help that way since there are funds available in some areas. If you qualify as low income then sometimes you can find our sources of help. Some Colleges that teach Vetrinary medicine may help too. Any schools near you? Have you considered socializing the ferals for adoption? I had a colony of over 100 and they were at high risk where I live. I became desperate to save them and turned to that out of a lack of any other ideas. It actually turned out extremely well. Sometimes I felt like I was swimming against the tide but 77 cats of all ages found loving homes over the next two years. When I started the process I only had hope. I never dreamed that so many would get homes. It took some patience on my part and work to socialize but I brought in every member of the colony by the end of it all. The lady cat in was the oldest member and I wasn’t sure if he would socialize well but he is laying in my lap asleep as I type. BJ tunrned out to be a big old teddy bear. Bringing the last one in to safety lifted a huge weight from my heart. All were safe. Some did have medical issues but those are the ones that stayed with me. I no longer have many dozens to vet or worry about. Just the ones here in my home. Hang on and look up help. It may take time and networking but things will shift and become better. You are giving those cats the best thing that anyone could ever give them. Your love. You have my gratitude and respect for all you are doing for them. Please post back anytime you need to and write me if you need support. My heart is with you and I send all the healing vibes possible for the kitties! :vibes::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, it's been a busy week.
The cat with the limp was fine the next day. Thankfully. I kept a watch to make sure, but it's over a week now and he hasn't limped at all and is acting normal.

I trapped the cat with the lump and brought him to my vet. I should have waited until my favorite vets were on duty, but I was in a hurry. The one I saw is young, very nice, but not too knowledgeable but the owner was in close proximity and I asked that she consult. They agreed with me that it was worth a try to administer antibiotics and lance it. I left him there and they called me. The vet said that the lump was not fluid, but contained mostly blood. She tested him for any of the major diseases in which case they would have euthanized immediately. She gave him the shot of 10 day antibiotic, some pain killer, relaxer that I was supposed to add to his food and an anti-inflammatory that was palatable. I set him up in a room in a crate with a carrier inside. He was very warm and comfortable. He didn't eat due to the sedation for the first two days, but then he started to eat. He seemed to eat enough, but would not touch the food that contained any painkiller. I waited for nine days. I still heard the stressful sound/breathing he made when I entered the room, but he did not seemed to be wheezing or anything when I was not (I have a camera with sound). I was hopeful that the lump would react to the antibiotics and then I could have them give him another dose and let him lose to hopefully eradicate the infection. Unfortunately, my favorite vet examined him on return and advised to put him down. I was very upset for a few days, but know that I did the right thing.

Thank you all for your advice.

Jcatbird, what a nice story. I have one feral that I took in over a year and a half ago who was only 12 weeks. I chose to just let her be and she still runs from me. She comes to me, but if I go to pick her up, she runs. How did you socialize all of those cats? Please give me some personal tips. I mistakenly thought she would come around like my other feral whom I nursed for 5 months. However, I had another cat that slept on my bed so he was always with him and it was easy for me to just try to pet him. Eventually he let me....and now he pushes everyone out of the way. LOL

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about the kitty you tried to save but know that you have comfort and love and that is the greatest thing we can do for any living creature at the end. He was not alone outside. :alright::redheartpump: The cat that runs, is it inside? It has the run of the whole house? There is more than one avenue to try. One is using food as a lite and the other would be to try and restart with the kitty. Is that kitty bonded with any other?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is inside. I took her in at 12 weeks. I kept her in a room for a few weeks and I picked her up often, but then I wanted her to bond with the other cats too, so I let her out. One she has bonded with (a stray who was 3 years old). He takes care of her, but oddly enough, he will not allow her on my bed to sleep which is why I have a hard time bonding with her the way I had with my other feral. I don't fret over it, however, my concern is always catching her to take to vet or administer meds if she ever needed it. She does bat her eyes at me often and we play ball and she knows when it's treat time. I make her special chicken that she likes. It's progress, I guess. LOL