Cat with popped abscess - allow him to lick the wound or leave on cone?

TommoLB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So it seems my boy cat got into a scrap with another cat and developed an abscess at the basis of his tail that popped today. I managed to get to the vets who shaved the fur off (after an almighty fight and much howling), clean the wound (again more howling) and then an injection of antibiotics that apparently will last 3 weeks.

I brought him home and obviously he started to lick the wound - queue another howling session as washing it was painful. I did ask the vet about him licking the wound and he thought there was nothing wrong with allowing it.

After the howling session and with my nerves shot to pieces, I put in a cone of shame on him to stop the washing, but not sure if this is a good idea or not? My nerves couldn't take him randomly howling after an attempt to wash the area.

Currently the wound is weeping and leaving spots of bloody stuff everywhere he sits. He cannot settle, probably due to the cone of shame.

Any help would be appreciated - especially if I should leave the cone on or take it off?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It depends.

If your cat is going to clean it a little and leave it alone, some cleaning is not bad. If your cat is going to continue to mess with it and doesn't leave it alone, then yeah keep the cone on.

Did your vet give you wound care instructions? Most abcesses need to be cleaned several times a day to draw out the infection. Usually hold a warm compress to it and spot clean. You also usually need to remove any scab that forms until the wound bleeds clean otherwise the infection starts up again (although I've had vets who think they flushed it good enough that as long as you don't see more pus they say to let it scab). My vet usually has me use water with a small amount of hydrogen peroxide because hydrogen peroxide slows wound healing so it allows it to fully drain before closing. But my vet also has put in tear resistant cloth to make a drain so my boy can clean the area and effectively keep it open himself.

Vets usually know best, but sometimes they aren't the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TommoLB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recall something about a cloth and warm water and plan to gently rinse the area a couple of times a day. As he's a strong and (when provoked) very feisty cat, I don't think I can do more than that without being torn to shreds. There was certainly no mention of hydrogen peroxide etc. and am sure I have read online to never use it on cats? I just remembered I have some Leucillin spray (https://www.leucillin.co.uk/ ) that I could spray the area with (it apparently doesn't sting).

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hydrogen peroxide should generally not be used for wound care. It can cause harm to the skin and doesn't really help in most cases. My vet has me add maybe a teaspoon to a cup of warm water when cleaning the wound. It helps remove the blood easier and slows healing, which with cat wounds you want to slow the healing. Cat wounds heal too quickly for their bodies to flush out the bacteria so slowing it down let's the bacteria get cleaned out.

The spray you have is good for wound care too. The worry being that if you can't clean it out that you'll just be in the same spot again. You really should try to clean the wound. My cats are also generally non-cooprerative but when they are sick they usually are more cooperative. If you can clean the wound, that plus the spray should be good. The biggest thing right now is keeping it clean and making sure the infection is cleaned out before it heals over.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TommoLB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I took the cone off to see what he'd do. Within minutes we had a howling session and he was running around the house in distress as a result. The cone went back on and I sprayed the area with Leucillin and he's settled down and wanting to be left alone. I'll gently rinse the area with warm water later this evening after I dig out the asbestos gloves and protective gear.....

To add to my woes. the other cat's tail gets bushed up every time she see's him, probably due to the howling and the fact he's wearing a cone. I'm going to have to keep her away from him as she's an aggressive little madam when she spots a "strange" cat and could go on the attack.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spraying with some diluted betadine is also a good idea. This will disinfect the area but won't harm the cat, even if he does lick it. I would be a little concerned with the peroxide because if either of your cat licks it there can be trouble. It is probably better to wipe with betadine, but for your own safety and comfort I believe spraying will do the job.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be a little concerned with the peroxide because if either of your cat licks it there can be trouble.
Just to point out, I am not saying pure peroxide. A teaspoon in a cup of water for cleaning only in abcess cases to slow healing slightly until the wound drains.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just to point out, I am not saying pure peroxide. A teaspoon in a cup of water for cleaning only in abcess cases to slow healing slightly until the wound drains.
Thanks for clarifying. I definitely didn't mean to override your suggestion, or say that the OP shouldn't follow your advice. Merely suggesting to exercise caution with certain products. Best of luck!