Cat with poop and vomit issues almost daily

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With only one Cat you shouldn't really need to clean the boxes more than once a day, but twice doesn't hurt.

Yeah, putting a box on an "oops" spot can help prevent them from going in the same spot again because it's covered over, but ideally you'd want to figure out what caused it so you can deal with it.
I was worried if she is picky about it being clean as I heard it can affect some cats, hence why I just checked it every time I visited her. And it helps me figure out when she's pooping and peeing and keep a journal in case my vet needs more info.

I figured she went in the tub due to the litter being pine pellets. After giving her both pellet and soft wood options, she has only used the soft wood litter and had no more accidents.

I just want to say that sustainably yours litter is the devil. I swear it amplifies cat poop smell, sticks to cats fur, travels all over the house, and doesn’t stick to the poo or clump properly. I seriously had a break down while using it and my cameras showed my cats fretting in the box as they couldn’t cover any of their smell. It was the most awful litter experience I’ve ever had.
Oh no... I only bought it because I heard it's soft which cats who are picky about texture might like. I bought it online so not sure if I can return it. It's still unopened though. I can't know how she reacts to the litter until I actually see her use the box but twice now I've seen her on cam doing that rim balancing act with no poop or pee anywhere. I don't want to use clay litter anymore. My home cat has never cared about which litter I give him in 10 years so I'm being extra careful with new cat as I know most cats are not like my resident cat.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was worried if she is picky about it being clean as I heard it can affect some cats, hence why I just checked it every time I visited her. And it helps me figure out when she's pooping and peeing and keep a journal in case my vet needs more info.

I figured she went in the tub due to the litter being pine pellets. After giving her both pellet and soft wood options, she has only used the soft wood litter and had no more accidents.

Oh no... I only bought it because I heard it's soft which cats who are picky about texture might like. I bought it online so not sure if I can return it. It's still unopened though. I can't know how she reacts to the litter until I actually see her use the box but twice now I've seen her on cam doing that rim balancing act with no poop or pee anywhere. I don't want to use clay litter anymore. My home cat has never cared about which litter I give him in 10 years so I'm being extra careful with new cat as I know most cats are not like my resident cat.
I don’t want to use clay litter either but my cats think otherwise, so I’d rather use that than be cleaning up floor pee and poo daily because they do not like other litters at all. Some people really like grass seed litter, it didn’t work for us, but it’s very soft and light and easy on their toes. The sustainably yours is like really super fine powdery sand that gets everywhere including between their toes and in my case stuck to their hind bits and their noses.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first step would be finding out what she was fed before adoption and give that, than slowly introduce the new food. Next step is putting the cat on feeding schedule not to overwhelm the stomach on free feeding. Next I would deworm if she hasn't been dewormed in the last 6 months. If none of that helped, I'd go to vet.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t want to use clay litter either but my cats think otherwise, so I’d rather use that than be cleaning up floor pee and poo daily because they do not like other litters at all. Some people really like grass seed litter, it didn’t work for us, but it’s very soft and light and easy on their toes. The sustainably yours is like really super fine powdery sand that gets everywhere including between their toes and in my case stuck to their hind bits and their noses.
Yea after the other reply about Sustainably Yours and reading more into it, I send a return request. Thankfully I haven't opened it up yet!

I want to observe if she can actually use her litter, and if she's balancing everytime to use the toilet, or it's something unrelated to litter use. Gotta figure out if she just straight up doesn't like the litter (she covers and uses it fine from how the litter box looks after use) or maybe her inconsistent poos are causing her to stand on the rim. For now I only saw the rim standing in recording where she did not attempt to pee or poo.

I really appreciate your continuous helpful replies!!!
My first step would be finding out what she was fed before adoption and give that, than slowly introduce the new food. Next step is putting the cat on feeding schedule not to overwhelm the stomach on free feeding. Next I would deworm if she hasn't been dewormed in the last 6 months. If none of that helped, I'd go to vet.
I'll try to call the shelter but they're very busy. The day I went to meet her, they were so busy that we were in the cat room for 45 mins before I could flag down a volunteer. They've been running back and forth very busy. At the shelter she and every other cat has access to dry kibble, but the entire time I was there she was taking nap so I didn't see her use her litter box or eat. She is not free fed and is fed originally twice a day, but I've switched it over to 3 meals so it is less amount of food intake in 1 sitting. She should not have worms as I had her checked by my trusted vet a few days after I brought her home and she has a clean fecal matter result. I told the vet over the phone (since it started a few days after the visit) but since she is still energetic, has appetite, and isn't having troubles every meal/daily, the vet told me to observe her for now and to call her back if the situation persists.

For now I am giving her 3 meals during the day with mix of wet and dry each meal. She shows no appetite preference between dry and wet, and loves all food so far. After I cleaned up her latest barf at late night Saturday, she has not barfed so far almost 24 hours since. She had a normal log shaped poo this morning. I will continue to monitor.

Thank you for everyone who has given me advice and try to help!!! I'm very anxious person and want the best for her, but I don't want to start pulling my hair out and switching her things too fast and causing too much problems. Talking about it really helps give me direction and perspective.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yea after the other reply about Sustainably Yours and reading more into it, I send a return request. Thankfully I haven't opened it up yet!

I want to observe if she can actually use her litter, and if she's balancing everytime to use the toilet, or it's something unrelated to litter use. Gotta figure out if she just straight up doesn't like the litter (she covers and uses it fine from how the litter box looks after use) or maybe her inconsistent poos are causing her to stand on the rim. For now I only saw the rim standing in recording where she did not attempt to pee or poo.

I really appreciate your continuous helpful replies!!!

I'll try to call the shelter but they're very busy. The day I went to meet her, they were so busy that we were in the cat room for 45 mins before I could flag down a volunteer. They've been running back and forth very busy. At the shelter she and every other cat has access to dry kibble, but the entire time I was there she was taking nap so I didn't see her use her litter box or eat. She is not free fed and is fed originally twice a day, but I've switched it over to 3 meals so it is less amount of food intake in 1 sitting. She should not have worms as I had her checked by my trusted vet a few days after I brought her home and she has a clean fecal matter result. I told the vet over the phone (since it started a few days after the visit) but since she is still energetic, has appetite, and isn't having troubles every meal/daily, the vet told me to observe her for now and to call her back if the situation persists.

For now I am giving her 3 meals during the day with mix of wet and dry each meal. She shows no appetite preference between dry and wet, and loves all food so far. After I cleaned up her latest barf at late night Saturday, she has not barfed so far almost 24 hours since. She had a normal log shaped poo this morning. I will continue to monitor.

Thank you for everyone who has given me advice and try to help!!! I'm very anxious person and want the best for her, but I don't want to start pulling my hair out and switching her things too fast and causing too much problems. Talking about it really helps give me direction and perspective.
Is it possibly she doesn’t like the boxes? Are all your boxes those disposable ones? They are small even the jumbo size for the size of some cats

I have my litter box cameras up so that I can see every uh...deposit.I have to watchcat poop videos daily to make sure no one stepped in it

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possibly she doesn’t like the boxes? Are all your boxes those disposable ones? They are small even the jumbo size for the size of some cats

I have my litter box cameras up so that I can see every uh...deposit.I have to watchcat poop videos daily to make sure no one stepped in it
No I just used it as I had it left over from when I moved here 3 years ago (new in package) I grabbed it the morning I found her poop outside the initial litter box (as mentioned previously) since I didn't have time to go out to buy a litter box that day. Since she was able to use it, I thought to let her use it a bit longer so it wasn't too wasteful. I am currently looking to purchase another box in the largest size with 1 low side in case she doesn't want to jump out of the box, such as The Better Box or a similar So Pharesh one. Is there a minimum length you'd recommend? The 2 options I'm considering are 22.6 and 24 in respectively. The unused litter box that I moved out of the tub as you suggested is the bottom part of nature's miracle hooded litter box, 25 inches in size. My resident cat is a larger cat. The vet said he is at a healthy weight of 14lbs due to his larger build, so the 2 boxes I have are on the larger side.

The camera I bought quickly without much thought after her initial issues but I just read that the company has changed it's program and I can no longer view full video even with an SD card, only if I buy their cloud subscription. If you have any recommendations for cams please do share!

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No I just used it as I had it left over from when I moved here 3 years ago (new in package) I grabbed it the morning I found her poop outside the initial litter box (as mentioned previously) since I didn't have time to go out to buy a litter box that day. Since she was able to use it, I thought to let her use it a bit longer so it wasn't too wasteful. I am currently looking to purchase another box in the largest size with 1 low side in case she doesn't want to jump out of the box, such as The Better Box or a similar So Pharesh one. Is there a minimum length you'd recommend? The 2 options I'm considering are 22.6 and 24 in respectively. The unused litter box that I moved out of the tub as you suggested is the bottom part of nature's miracle hooded litter box, 25 inches in size. My resident cat is a larger cat. The vet said he is at a healthy weight of 14lbs due to his larger build, so the 2 boxes I have are on the larger side.

The camera I bought quickly without much thought after her initial issues but I just read that the company has changed it's program and I can no longer view full video even with an SD card, only if I buy their cloud subscription. If you have any recommendations for cams please do share!
The better box by pet fusion leaves bits of the nonstick stuff in the box, I’m not a fan. my cats like to use the frisco jumbo box or the natures miracle corner box (without the hood) I don’t like covered boxes for cats, they can cause issues.

I think 24” minimum is good, you can even get under the bed storage boxes that size or larger for $5 at target. I only asked about the disposable boxes as that may have felt weird on her feet, I’ve had some cats that like those and some that do not. One of my cats is a big boy too, he’s 15lbs and doesn’t even look fat. Just a big long boy with massive feet.

if it were me Id remove the hood from the other box if you haven’t already and go from there

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The better box by pet fusion leaves bits of the nonstick stuff in the box, I’m not a fan. my cats like to use the frisco jumbo box or the natures miracle corner box (without the hood) I don’t like covered boxes for cats, they can cause issues.

I think 24” minimum is good, you can even get under the bed storage boxes that size or larger for $5 at target. I only asked about the disposable boxes as that may have felt weird on her feet, I’ve had some cats that like those and some that do not. One of my cats is a big boy too, he’s 15lbs and doesn’t even look fat. Just a big long boy with massive feet.

if it were me Id remove the hood from the other box if you haven’t already and go from there
A corner box would be great for her small room right now! I had a corner box before for my boy when I lived in a smaller shared apartment. I guess I didn't consider it as they aren't very big, if size is the issue for my girl. I will adjust my potential buy list either way. And for sure I do not use hoods on litter boxes as I watched videos about how it can cause issues.

The nature miracle box (the ex-bathtub box) had the hood removed before it was given to her but she has only used it twice in 1.5 weeks, both times were poop, unburied, which we assumed was because she did not want to touch the pine pellets. I only kept the pellets in there as I read when there are litter issues you shouldn't replace, but instead add the new litter in a new box, and still keep the old unwanted box as an option. I'll see if she shows any interest in the box now that it's not in the tub anymore for the next few days.

This is kind of off topic but I wonder if it relates to her habit with the boxes. I have noticed she shows hesitence to go inside things that are high rimmed. I bought her a new cat bed before she moved in, which has soft rim around similar to the type my boy loves. However she was always hesitant to even set foot in it. She only walked in it happily after I put an old towel inside to pad the bottom. I moved her towel to another spot for now to help spread her scent and even tho she can sleep in her bed now without the towel, she still hesitates to stand inside her bed sometimes without the towel. Maybe high sides on things remind her of her bullied past, being cornered? The large nature miracle litter box is pretty deep.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The natures miracle box does have high sides but I put 3-4” of litter in it so it’s not so high when they get in. My cats also hated the pellets and didn’t like stepping on them and refused to use it. Unfortunately they also refused the okocat and I tried every darn version they make.

if you want to try something low sided look at the kitty go here box design and try to find a similar sized sterilite or Rubbermaid tote or just try the kitty go here type.

I know how hard this is to deal with, if only they could talk and tell us what’s wrong! But you are doing a great job. Just remember that

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The natures miracle box does have high sides but I put 3-4” of litter in it so it’s not so high when they get in. My cats also hated the pellets and didn’t like stepping on them and refused to use it. Unfortunately they also refused the okocat and I tried every darn version they make.

if you want to try something low sided look at the kitty go here box design and try to find a similar sized sterilite or Rubbermaid tote or just try the kitty go here type.

I know how hard this is to deal with, if only they could talk and tell us what’s wrong! But you are doing a great job. Just remember that
Funny you mention more litter in the box, as I actually read how some cats might NOT like too much litter and that could be an issue haha! I keep about 2 inches in the disposable box and a bit more in the larger box. I'll try to add more in the larger box and see if she feels better about it. I will also keep an eye out for low sided options!

Thank you for your help, and I'm sorry to ask again but if you have any good home cam options to watch her litter box use please share. The option I have now only has live feed, and motion detection does not work well so it only records her jumping up and down the counter.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of motion detection camera systems on Amazon, choose one that uses a card and not a cloud services. The one we have is I think discontinued and I can’t speak to other brands 😞

I will say I had issues with the camera in the dark, motion detection still worked well but it captured any dust particles floating by lol. We leave the lights on for them now.

I have to use a lot of litter in each box because one of my cats is a high volume pee leaver. IfI put too little litter his pee just puddles at the bottom of the box. Also they all like to go in waves and too little litter even in many boxes means they struggle tocover and may be more prone to step in poop or pee. But yes some cats hate a lot of litter. I definitely used less when I used pine with my old cat.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just saw her do something strange on cam. I googled cats standing on rim of litter box and I'm not sure what to make of it. She has been using that litter box with no issues daily. I don't catch her use it but her pee and poo are usually dead center in it. I assume that means shes ok with the litter box and litter itself. I've included the clip that was auto captured by the camera.
I had a cat who did that. She’d try to touch the litter as little as possible, perching on the side to go.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update!

I finally just caught her pooping and peeing! So she does pee with 3 out of 4 feet on the edge of the litter box, but she still pees inside. Afterwards, she turns around and only buries it with her front paws inside the box. She still does not show interest in the non-disposal box. I've decided to play it safe and tomorrow go buy the clay litter I used before (Dr. Elsey) to see if she likes it better. I'm happy she is polite enough to pee inside properly even though she really seems to dislike the litter I have!

Now the funny thing... remember when I said she pooped in the tub on the first night? And how after I put the litter box there, she's been pooping in the tub litter box for the most part? I thought she was using the secondary box as her poop exclusive box, but she just associates the bath tub as where poop goes! Cus right after she buried her pee, she jumped into the tub and did her business. I went in when she was trying to "bury" the poo in the empty tub. The "poop" litter box is literally right next to the bath tub and she walked right past it to go to the tub.

I only managed to get a proper cat pee/poop eliminator kind of spray a few days ago, the one Jackson Galaxy sells with good reviews. I cleaned the entire tub with it and rinsed it with the shower head, and I want to see if it can cut off her association of tub = poop place. Combined with giving her option of clay litter later today (03/01 monday), hopefully she will stop pooping there!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're looking for a longer box with lower sides then I would definitely recommend an underbed storage container. They are cheaper than a litterbox and sturdier too. Plus you can get storage containers with handles which will help when you need to move it for cleaning.

.....That reminds me, if you clean your litterboxes with bleach take them outside first so you'll have some ventilation. Urine has ammonia in it and when you combine ammonia with bleach it has a rather nasty chemical reaction that produces toxic vapors.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ordered litter box as recommended and waiting for that now. I bought the clay litter today and will offer it to her to see if she likes it better

Some good news!! No vomits after 36 hours!! After I did the whole wipe down with the special spray, this morning she pooped in the previously ignored litter box, after exploring the tub and sniffing around. Hopefully that means I have removed her association with the tub being a poop house. She buried her poo well today. From the video it seems she is still putting 3 feet on the rim while pooping and then scratching at the walls and the sides of the box, probably to get the feel of the litter off her hands. Since she ended up using the litter box, I'm not sure if it's good idea to dump all the wood litter in there back into the packaging box to replace with clay litter I bought, or to just put a layer of clay on top to see if she doesn't mind standing on it.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Id leave it as is for a few days and see what happens. One of my cats also likes to poop while perched on the box, very classy

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Id leave it as is for a few days and see what happens. One of my cats also likes to poop while perched on the box, very classy
Good to have reassurance! Thank you. I don't want to bring too much change in case it stresses her out again.

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was browsing online for info on injecting B12 (cobalamin) for my EPI cat and somehow came across your post.
EPI, or Exocrene Pancreatic Insufficiency is an inability to properly digest food, caused by the pancreas not excreting sufficient digestive enzymes. It cause terrible diarhea orangy-yellowish diarhea that can clear out the floors of a house, as well as regular frquent vomiting.
It presents in all ages of cats from young kittens to seniors. It will eventually cause the cat to lose do much weight and nutrients that it cannot survive.
**The good news** - if a cat has EPI, it can live a normal full life with the right treatment, which consists of adding digestive enzyme to every meal, a powdered pig or cow pancreas, or even raw chopped pancreas. Also supplementing the cat with B12/cobalamin injections is required, as they don't get it properly through diet even with supplied digestive enzymes.
Your vet can perform a sTLI test, a 'serum trypsin like insufficiency' test if EPI is suspected, to confirm diagnosis.
Then, if it is EPI, I personally by powdered beef pancreas in a small plastic jar at my l9csl PetsMart, and sprinkle a dose over my cat's wet food (they do best on a strictly wet diet that is good quality and *low in fat*, Fancy Feast pates and grills work well and don't cost thr moon).
I also give him some slippery elm bark powder mixed in water a couple times a week, 2ml by syringe. Slippery elm soothes the mouth and stomach by provifing a goopy coating, because digedtive enzymes can give some cats sore mouths.

Pawsings

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was browsing online for info on injecting B12 (cobalamin) for my EPI cat and somehow came across your post.
EPI, or Exocrene Pancreatic Insufficiency is an inability to properly digest food, caused by the pancreas not excreting sufficient digestive enzymes. It cause terrible diarhea orangy-yellowish diarhea that can clear out the floors of a house, as well as regular frquent vomiting.
It presents in all ages of cats from young kittens to seniors. It will eventually cause the cat to lose do much weight and nutrients that it cannot survive.
**The good news** - if a cat has EPI, it can live a normal full life with the right treatment, which consists of adding digestive enzyme to every meal, a powdered pig or cow pancreas, or even raw chopped pancreas. Also supplementing the cat with B12/cobalamin injections is required, as they don't get it properly through diet even with supplied digestive enzymes.
Your vet can perform a sTLI test, a 'serum trypsin like insufficiency' test if EPI is suspected, to confirm diagnosis.
Then, if it is EPI, I personally by powdered beef pancreas in a small plastic jar at my l9csl PetsMart, and sprinkle a dose over my cat's wet food (they do best on a strictly wet diet that is good quality and *low in fat*, Fancy Feast pates and grills work well and don't cost thr moon).
I also give him some slippery elm bark powder mixed in water a couple times a week, 2ml by syringe. Slippery elm soothes the mouth and stomach by provifing a goopy coating, because digedtive enzymes can give some cats sore mouths.
Hi Eliza, I know its been a couple years since your post, but my cat was just diagnosed with EPI. I'm overwhelmed right now with all the information and treatment protocols. Can you tell me how your EPI cat is doing? What meds or supplements is he taking? What food are you feeding? Do you still give him powdered beef pancreas instead of prescription enzymes? How much do you give? Did you run across any articles or videos that were really helpful to you? Thank you very much.